Intake Manifold upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1998 gmc k1500

Planning on swapping out the tired 5.7 for a 383 stroker from S&J Engines. Is there any upgrade I could do on the stroker instead of the stock intake manifold from the 5.7? Would like to stay with mpfi instead of tbi or carbed.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Holley snipper EFI, but it ain't cheap.

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a decent price to me. Will be calling them tomorrow for more info.

I’ve talked to many guys on this forum that have used the same motor from them and have had success.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1998 gmc k1500

Planning on swapping out the tired 5.7 for a 383 stroker from S&J Engines. Is there any upgrade I could do on the stroker instead of the stock intake manifold from the 5.7? Would like to stay with mpfi instead of tbi or carbed.
Why would you want to? I ran a marine intake but honestly my current 383 is making more power with a ported stock manifold. About 500 hp give or take a little. The old limitation was the spider. Now they make a 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr spider assembly. 36 lb/hr will support all you can make from a streetable NA 383 on pump gas. I went with the 48 lb/hr for E85. The truck intake has longer runners than most of the MPFI manifolds and therefore builds more torque. Stock style spider will support 400-425 hp.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend staying with the factory mfpi over switching to a Holley tbi. You won't see a power gain and you'll lose the reliability you can have with a factory setup. If you really want to spend money an Edelbrock pro Flo system would be the way to go, its at least not a step backwards.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want to spend money an Edelbrock pro Flo system would be the way to go, its at least not a step backwards.

Just curious, because I've not looked into these myself:

Which Pro Flo system, and why? I looked briefly and it seemed they had two designs, but I didn't study their offerings so I'm slacking a bit here... figured I would be lazy and just ask :)

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many American dollars do they want for that, shipped.

Long block / short block?

Other details, please :)
Talked with Ryan at S&J today. Will be sending my quote to me tomorrow. So I’ll let you know total pricing. Real helpful guy answered all of my questions and also made some suggestions on the upgrades I’m wanting to do.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, because I've not looked into these myself:

Which Pro Flo system, and why? I looked briefly and it seemed they had two designs, but I didn't study their offerings so I'm slacking a bit here... figured I would be lazy and just ask :)

Last I checked there's only one setup for our engines. The difference is the pro flo uses 8 injectors in the intake runners. The Holley is just a pair of injectors in the throttle body, like the older factory TBI. It's an easy upgrade for a carbureted engine but it's a downgrade if you already have multipoint injection.