Intake Manifold upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captainfab

Reaction score
For an aftermarket EFI intake for the Vortec heads, Edelbrock has 2 choices. The Pro Flo 4 and the Pro Flo 4XT

And then two offerings from Holley

The Holley systems are a bit more money but Holley offers after the sale support and replacement parts a LOT longer than Edelbrock. If you have one of the earlier Pro Flo systems, say from 5+ years ago, you can no longer get replacement/service parts.

S&J engines is local to me and I know 2 people that have purchased engines from them with excellent results. I would not hesitate to buy an engine from them.

If on a budget, I agree on keeping the stock intake since you can now purchase the EFI spiders with larger than stock. injectors

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For an aftermarket EFI intake for the Vortec heads, Edelbrock has 2 choices. The Pro Flo 4 and the Pro Flo 4XT

And then two offerings from Holley

The Holley systems are a bit more money but Holley offers after the sale support and replacement parts a LOT longer than Edelbrock. If you have one of the earlier Pro Flo systems, say from 5+ years ago, you can no longer get replacement/service parts.

S&J engines is local to me and I know 2 people that have purchased engines from them with excellent results. I would not hesitate to buy an engine from them.

If on a budget, I agree on keeping the stock intake since you can now purchase the EFI spiders with larger than stock. injectors
I think I’ll be sticking with the stock manifold with upgraded injectors

JohnBravo

Reaction score
Sorry to bother, where might I look for these upgraded stock mpfi injectors? My wife has been urging me to get a new truck, but I really like my truck (especially being paid off)...with car/truck prices today I think I'd rather spend a little money and upgrade what I have. If I could actually get over 300hp and over 400tq with my sbc I'd love to pursue that route...a 383ci may be in my near future :cool:

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you want to? I ran a marine intake but honestly my current 383 is making more power with a ported stock manifold. About 500 hp give or take a little. The old limitation was the spider. Now they make a 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr spider assembly. 36 lb/hr will support all you can make from a streetable NA 383 on pump gas. I went with the 48 lb/hr for E85. The truck intake has longer runners than most of the MPFI manifolds and therefore builds more torque. Stock style spider will support 400-425 hp.
where can i find these upgraded injectors? can you send a link of what you got?

dyates99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bother, where might I look for these upgraded stock mpfi injectors? My wife has been urging me to get a new truck, but I really like my truck (especially being paid off)...with car/truck prices today I think I'd rather spend a little money and upgrade what I have. If I could actually get over 300hp and over 400tq with my sbc I'd love to pursue that route...a 383ci may be in my near future :cool:

Something like this

bentwrenches

Reaction score
Why would you want to? I ran a marine intake but honestly my current 383 is making more power with a ported stock manifold. About 500 hp give or take a little. The old limitation was the spider. Now they make a 36, 48 and 62 lb/hr spider assembly. 36 lb/hr will support all you can make from a streetable NA 383 on pump gas. I went with the 48 lb/hr for E85. The truck intake has longer runners than most of the MPFI manifolds and therefore builds more torque. Stock style spider will support 400-425 hp.
Um, where you finding these 36, 48, 62 lb / hr injectors for the spidey replacements? Inquiring minds... etc.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

canadaguy5150

Reaction score