Installing a Remote Start, Alarm, or Keyless Entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rlast1

Reaction score
I just installed a Viper remote start keyless on my 1994 K1500 and it works great but doesn't do something my Compustar in another truck does. When I remote start it doesn't lock the doors is that normal? My Compustar locks doors automatically when I remote start.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys what happened to why my remote start was giving me problems is because I changed out my trucks battery and since it was programmed using volts it lost the program or that's what the installer told me so on my 1993 GMC it's best to program the alarm using the tach wire off the coil the wire color is white or the white wire coming off the Drac.

Ok I finally had my remote start alarm programmed again in Pasadena, TX but I tapped into the white wire off the coil on my 1993 F/S GMC truck and how I ran the wire inside my truck is I drilled a hole by the gas pedal bracket I used a rubber grommet to protect the wire now I wrote that I was going to tap into the VSS or Drac but I didn't after all because most people go this route now it sure is nice having the remote start again especially in this Texas heat. :)

ChevyNut

Reaction score
Wiring help for Power Door Locks - Aftermarket remote on a 1992 C1500

I have tried several different times to wire this and no success. I have attached pics of the wiring going to the door and another of the wiring diagram from the remote unit.

If anyone out there would like to help with their opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

You must be registered for see images attach

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wiring help for Power Door Locks - Aftermarket remote on a 1992 C1500

I have tried several different times to wire this and no success. I have attached pics of the wiring going to the door and another of the wiring diagram from the remote unit.

If anyone out there would like to help with their opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

When the guy installed my Prestige remote start alarm on my 1993 GMC Truck he sent me to Best Buy to buy a (security and convenience components 451M micro door lock relay module) I think it's to not have trouble like your having or short cut it instead of wiring it another way I'm not that sure and I can't ask him he passed away well I hope this helps you.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys let me add this to try and help with headaches and money my Prestige remote start truck alarm was giving me trouble it would alarm after I would start the truck well I noticed on the remote LED fob screen showed that the remote battery was a little low I went to replacing it and to date all is well oh I found this info online.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys my Prestige alarm start to act up again the remote start would work but at times the siren would go off so I called the manufacturer and they said to turn down the shock sensor which I did and it worked out great remote start works like a champ now.

Guys now that I turned down the sensitivity switch or shock sensor the alarm remote start has been working great and on my remote battery being low at times it turned out that the contact that keep the spring to hold the battery in place was loose I soldered it and all is well with that now.

Another thing that I like with this alarm finally is when my truck alarm goes off or it has been bumped the remote will start making a noise to alert me when I'm inside.

Last edited:

trx125

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever installed a Crimestoppers RS00-G5 remote start that uses the OEM remote? Any diagrams or advice is appreciated? Thanks

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone ever installed a Crimestoppers RS00-G5 remote start that uses the OEM remote? Any diagrams or advice is appreciated? Thanks
I would really recommend spending the coin and getting any of the DEI products (python, viper, Clifford, avital)

trx125

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would really recommend spending the coin and getting any of the DEI products (python, viper, Clifford, avital)
I already have the crimestoppers unit I picked up for my truck never installed it. So now I'm going to use it on my Tahoe.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have Crimestopper and I think it works as good as those others mentioned. I did not use the one that uses the OEM remotes because I didn't have them. I put the SP-502 on my Suburban and the RS4-G5 on my Jeep. As with any of these, the wiring is not an easy job. Expect it to take all day. If you aren't very comfortable with vehicle wiring, do not even attempt this job! I assume you will still need to use a bypass for the security, or do the bypass in the steering column. The end result is worth the effort. I hate getting into a cold vehicle. I went with the resistor bypass in the column and have since had issues with it. I will be sending my ECM to BBP for a tune and will definitely have them remove the PassLock so that won't be an issue. I don't know anything about the model you are using, but since it is using the OEM remote, I doubt it will have the range of the other models. I can start my Jeep from inside my house when it's a block and a half away. With a clear line of sight, I have started it about 1/3 of a mile away. The distance on the Suburban isn't that good, but I really like the 2 way communication it has. No doubt if it started or not.