Installed new heads and cam in my 1990 C3500 farm truck 7.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the radiator, hoses, and fan installed. My brother smashed into a tree, and had replaced the hood, radiator, and support before I inherited the truck. The AC condensor was smashed and he had simply removed it. I went ahead and removed the rest of the plumbing and the compressor rather than fixing it cause, money. I bought an idler that fits where the compressor used to sit. Got it from NAPA for about $39. About the last major piece to put back on at this point was the distributor.

The fan clutch got destroyed when he hit the tree, and my brother had installed the hard mounted fan and I guess the fan shroud was smashed too. I never saw the shroud laying around anywhere when I loaded up the truck. I plan on eliminating that hard mount fan and installing a couple electric fans, but I am using the hard mount fan for now cause, money.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I primed the oil lines and oil cooler, installed the distributor, and it fired right up. It was just sheer luck, but I had installed the distributor almost exactly at 0 degrees and I was amazed at how good it sounded on start up after all that work. I ran it for about 15 seconds, shut it down and checked for leaks. No leaks!

I'm really proud of myself at this point so I start it up again and fill the whole garage and house with exhaust from all the WD40 burning out of the cylinders. Wife starts bitching cause the house is full of smoke and I'm running a big block in the garage at 2500 RPM with open headers. The dogs are running around barking, the cats all ran away, and I think I permanently damaged my hearing.

I pushed it out of the garage and messed around for a while checking fluids and making sure all systems were go, then I drove it around the country roads for a while with open headers. It was a lot of fun. Eventually one of the power steering hoses exploded, and that ended the fun for that day.

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really had to get mufflers on it before I could do any more tuning. I didn't like how the exhaust was going to have to be bent to clear the transmission cross member on the drivers side, so I whacked a big hunk out of it to make room. I really cut out too much, but it turned out fine.

attachment.php

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used 3/4 inch square tubing to reinforce the cross member. This square tubing comes from Yamaha ATV crates that I get at my work. Your local Yamaha dealer may give you some if you ask them. It's pretty handy stuff to have around.

attachment.php

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The local muffler shop did a great job. I asked him to order the x pipe and Dyno Max Super Turbo mufflers. He looked out the window at the truck and thought I was just being a jerk (cause the truck looks so crummy). We were friends when he was done tho, and I tipped him $20. I think I will go back in and add a little back to the cross member. I really took out too much.

attachment.php

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All this exhaust work was only $400 for parts, labor, and tax. I thought that was very reasonable. I would have used 3 inch tubing, but nobody in my area has the equipment to bent it. I went with 2.5 inch tubing into 3 inch muffler inlets. I guess the driver's side header hangs down so low to clear the shift linkage.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went ahead and changed the gear oil before I took it to the muffler man. 3.41:1 posi full floater axle. This thing looks strong as hell.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was changing the differential oil, I could see some kind of oil dripping out of the brake drums. That didn't seem right. Turns out the axle seals and wheel cylinders were leaking on both sides. got it fixed up and changed the brake fluid in the whole system.

attachment.php

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock radio never worked, so I pulled it out and installed a $29 tach. Nothing but Auto Zone's finest tachometer would do for my truck. My brother's seeming lack of shame commanded him to install an aftermarket stereo in where the tape player used to be. He did nice work.

attachment.php

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The first day I got it running, I was so excited at how well it ran. I couldn't wait to fry the tires, and that's exactly what I did. Don't need to stand on the brakes to get the rear wheels spinning. 4000 RPM with open headers, both tires smoking, and no hood on it. I live for stupidity like this. Money well spent.

attachment.php