Inner door panel/mechanism removal 1990 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharlieP

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the inner door panel, with the the window mechanism and all?
I need to punch out a few dents in the passenger door and have to remove the metal panel that holds the window.
The truck is a 1990 k1500 with power locks and windows.

Or if someone knows of a write up with pictures, that would be just swell!
Is it possible to remove the panel as one unit or do I need to take everything apart?

Charlie

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The panel that covers the window and lock switches need to come off and the screw that holds the armrest together and then you can pull the door panel off. The door panel has like 12 christmas tree clips. You can remove the switches from the panel by pressing the tabs at the top and bottom of the switches and pulling the switches out. The switch connectors will come out of the cover once the switches are out.

To remove the inner panel, lower the window all the way down. I would recommend disconnecting the battery at this point. Remove the 10mm and one 12mm screws from the inner panel to release it from the door. Pull the inner door panel towards you and remove the door rods from the two sliders on the inner panel and the lock actuator. Slide the inner panel forward to release two of the three window rollers and then slide the panel backward to release the third roller. Disconnect the window motor and lock actuator wires and the panel is free. You can remove the window regulator from the inner panel once the panel is removed.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little late but I always have problems reconnecting the rods and keeping them bent in the right directions. My automatic locks barely work because i think the rod got bent the wrong way and I still cant get it just right. So be careful with the rods