Inexpensive tool boxes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been told to not get the US General stuff. Like @BNielsen said, look on CL or FB Marketplace for a decent used Mac or Snap-On. You get what you pay for.

A guy from my college got a Husky box from Home Depot and it is actually a decent box.

I will admit, I've looked over some of the new HF boxes and they're built decent enough for the home-gamer. I know a couple of mechanics who have some older US General boxes and they don't seem to mind them.

Home Depot also sells Milwaukee boxes, and those things are beefy as hell, kinda regret not shopping around before buying my Craftsman because they were close in price.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The larger Milwaukee boxes seem popular with the new techs at my shop. Good quality, especially for the price. Some of the seasoned guys buy them as well, as the price of entry for new Mac/Matco/Snap-on boxes is, well, a decent used car. I'm all for shopping used, as there are deals to be had getting good US made boxes for pennies on the dollar. The HF stuff is decent too, especially for the OP's needs. I got a great deal on a 42" (I think) box that served me well until I moved to field service. Buy whatever your makes your wallet comfortable.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The US General boxes at HF are pretty good, and reasonably priced. I have one of their 5 drawer carts and I've beat the hell out of it in my garage for over 2 years and it's held up really well. Material thickness is nearly identical to my MAC boxes. For home garage, I don't think you could go wrong there.
I was about to post the same thing. The US General boxes seem to give you a good "bang for your buck" box.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Something I might add, you can get a damn decent brand name box (Snap-On/MAC/Homak) for fairly cheap depending on what your local FB classified is like; I missed out on a mint MAC Special Edition 16 drawer (bottom roller and top chest) for like $350 bucks.
I've got three Snap-On boxes, two of them off craigslist, and one through my little brother via the Snap-On man getting rid of some trade-ins. Very inexpensive compared to new, and damn nice boxes. Two large rollers and a top box, one of the rollers with the heavy stainless work top, too.

Richard

Roadrunner

Reaction score
Find a couple of cheap old dressers for clothes. Usually you can get nice solid wood ones for free or very cheap. That frees up cash to spend on more tools and parts.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got three Snap-On boxes, two of them off craigslist, and one through my little brother via the Snap-On man getting rid of some trade-ins. Very inexpensive compared to new, and damn nice boxes. Two large rollers and a top box, one of the rollers with the heavy stainless work top, too.

Richard

I don't think I'll ever buy a Snappy box new, unless I start working somewhere that will let me outfit one and foot the bill. Highly doubt that would ever happen.
How good of a deal was the trade in box? I never thought of people trading in;

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever buy a Snappy box new, unless I start working somewhere that will let me outfit one and foot the bill. Highly doubt that would ever happen.
How good of a deal was the trade in box? I never thought of people trading in;
I had posted a pic of the three boxes in this older thread, direct link to my post -> Lets see those tools and toolboxes

That top box is an older one but in excellent condition; $300 got it off the truck, keys and all. Perfect fit for the lower box I got later off craigslist for like $500. The blue one with the stainless work top was practically brand new, $1000 off craigslist.

Richard

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Home Depot also sells Milwaukee boxes, and those things are beefy as hell, kinda regret not shopping around before buying my Craftsman because they were close in price.
The Milwaukee boxes aren't bad either, a guy in my class has the bigger one with the top chest. The soft closing doors on them is hella nice.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I love trade-ins. I snagged this on a trade-in back in 2005 from one of my coworkers (he traded for a new Snap-On). I then traded my old craftsman and 1-wide Matco cart for this for $500.

You must be registered for see images attach