Impala SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
LT1 can be repinned to a 411 which completely eliminates the optical sensor and then simply uses the opti as a plain old distributor. You run without the cam sensor and it does just find. Literally pin the thing in and go. It'd probably be just fine starting with a truck tune seeing how insanely similar the heads and cam are.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LT1. Reverse flow water pump. Opti-spark ignition.
The rear ends are about 1 5/8" narrower per side. But...coil spring/4-link style suspension. It can & has been made to work. Have to cut off the upper link mount points cast into the housing, remove the coil perches & weld on a pair of leaf perches, with the proper pinion angles.

Some came with discs. SSs & 9C1's (cop cars) They can be made to work on the truck's diff. Have to change the banjo bolt, or run an adaptor (yuck!) due to Impala's being of a different size & thread. Easier to have new lines made from the junction box with Impala ends to fit, on the other end.
I'd buy new rotors/pads.
The only reason I haven't done mine yet is beacuse I need the E-brake & I am still trying to find what is required as far as a proper cable length & if the Impala has a different end on the brake side from the 400's.

Many did come with Eaton Limited Slip carriers. They will fit the 400's factory diff. Same axle spline count as well. But they usually come with stupid tall gear ratios. 3.23, 3.08, 2.73, etc. You can use the gear set you have now (3.42's?)
Look for the metal 'Posi Fluid Only' tag. Some may have that removed over the years. Popping the cover off is easy enough. Take a good look at the fluid. Smell it too. Usually a pretty good indicator as to the condition of the clutches & bearings.

A contact of mine that runs a rear end business told me that the splines changed after 1988. 1988 and earlier had 28 spline , later had 30. He has seen a few 89's with 28 also. My 89 is coming apart in a few weeks, if it is 28 I will get an Auburn new, if it is 30 I will use a limited slip unit from an 09 1/2 ton.
So if someone is looking for a junkyard rearend, visually checking the spline count is important.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can just shove the 30 spline axles into a 30 spline carrier. My 88 truck had 28 spline axles and needed new side/spider gears so I bought the 30 spline version because I had 30 spline axles laying around.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love my SS wheels too! Fitment is about perfect for these trucks, but if you're on drop spindles on the front you will need to trim the arms a fair amount.

You must be registered for see images

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I, personally, don't care for the Impala SS wheels on our trucks, but that's just me. But that LT1 motor is light years ahead of our TBI motors. It bolts right in, and with an easy intake swap and TBI adapter, all you have to do is drop your TBI distributor in and it will run off your stock tune-assuming you're already running a 350. And with a cam and headers and a tune, it will easily make 350 hp and get 18-20mpg. Swap the whole rear ended in, and gain disc brakes and the ability to run rear wheels with a decent lip.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I, personally, don't care for the Impala SS wheels on our trucks, but that's just me. But that LT1 motor is light years ahead of our TBI motors. It bolts right in, and with an easy intake swap and TBI adapter, all you have to do is drop your TBI distributor in and it will run off your stock tune-assuming you're already running a 350. And with a cam and headers and a tune, it will easily make 350 hp and get 18-20mpg.
Yes GM performance parts has a carb intake for it and you can run Hei, I think this is a good overlooked option .