Ignition switch issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before I start tearing the column out of this thing I'm hoping someone can give me some insight. 89 Sierra k1500. Battery went dead, attempted to boost. Key will only turn to "run" position in ignition, will not turn past to "start". Had this happen once before, but I simply cycled the key and it worked. Is there some sort of lock preventing it from turning? My 10 minutes of googling yielded no answers. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This is usually the tumbler itself wearing out. You can get a new one fairly cheap and it's not a huge job to replace it, but you will need to borrow/rent a steering wheel puller and lock ring depressor tool (some kits have both in one.)

The ignition switch itself (the electrical portion) is further down the column along the shaft, actuated by a metal rod that is turned by the tumbler and its associated mechanism up in the column bowl. It pretty much always lasts beyond the lifespan of the truck so it's an unlikely suspect, unless someone has been jacking with it and maybe left the screws loose so that it has lost its adjustment on its little bracket.

Richard

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. I never considered it being the tumbler as in my experience a worn tumbler has always meant the cylinder would not turn at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've had them where they would turn on but wouldn't turn off, some that worked fine except wouldn't turn backwards far enough to go into the accessory position, etc. They seem to fail in randomly different (but similar) ways.

Richard