Ignition only hot USB port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I noticed both of the ports in my 98 are always hot. I don't drive my truck often, so don't want a small drain from having a 5v USB adapter always in. There's a small led on my adapter.

I'll probably measure how much drain there is to leaving an obd adapter and USB adapter plugged in. If it's minimal, I might just live with that and unplug when it's parked for a long time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As you've found, all three 12V ports are hot all the time in the 95+ trucks. Probably best to unplug whatever you're not using when it's parked.

As far as the OBD2 adapter, not sure if you're willing to spend $50 to solve this problem, but if so then check out the PLX Kiwi and Kiwi 2. Both of these adapters have a power switch that you can manually toggle. Be aware that the Kiwi 3 does not.

jollyjerry

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good idea with the power switch. Looked and found that there are usb adapters with a built in power switch also. Might grab one of those.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good idea! Great minds think alike!

:lol: