Idles high after being in gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRedOne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thought I'd post a few pic's of the rig in question. I call her the "BigRedOne" These are photo's from when I picked it up last October. Real important to me to have her running as good as it looks especially when I got a vehicle on back. That extra load needs the motor to run smooth and reliable.

Thanx to everyone who's trying to help me solve this issue. Even thou I may sound frustrated at times I still Appreciate all the help and info.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered a ALDL cable with bluetooth so I can run ALDLAndroid and be able to see more data. Going to be over a week till I get it thou.
Will that allow you do capture data into a file for an extended period of time, and then open the capture file later (on a real computer), e.g., in Excel, for study?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF the problem really is with the EPROM there is another way to go. Modify your ECM to accept an SST 27SF512 EEPROM and flash your own .bin with TunerPro RT, an ALDL cable, and Moates Burn-II
Dave w (Old School EFI) went to a junkyard, got a 7747 and soldered in a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket which converted the ECU to accept the 28 pin flash chip where the 24 pin EPROM went. Then I could drive around, data log, email my log to him, he'd tune it, email the .bin back to me, I'd flash a chip, install it in that ECM, rinse and repeat until we got the VE tables fine tuned. Then, because of my build, we decided the 7747 was too slow with too small tables so, I went to the EBL Flash-II and have been tuning it myself.

Maybe something to ponder? :33:

www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?172-7747-Flash-Chip-Conversion-(27SF512)&highlight=7747

www.tunerpro.net/

www.moates.net/burn2-chip-programmer-p-197.html?cPath=94

www.aldlcable.com/

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you had a MEMCAL or not. I know they weren't used every year.
Yes the 7747 has the memcal where the actual program lives in the hardware. The EPROM contains the code to which the hardware refers for programmable data (software) it uses in the calibration. The hardware can not be changed, the software AKA .bin (BINARY) can. It's written in Hexadecimal which needs a Mask for dummies like us. Otherwise your ANTY .bin looks like this.

EDIT: At least that's how I understand it, YMMV

BigRedOne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will that allow you do capture data into a file for an extended period of time, and then open the capture file later (on a real computer), e.g., in Excel, for study?
From what I understand yes. It has data logging that you can either view on a android device as well as computer. I like the idea of using an old android phone I have. I can mount it to the windshield and use it as a tach as well as watch my other gauges. My year truck didn't come with a tach so this will serve as that as well. I'll aslo be able to use it as a scan tool. You can use it to log straight to a laptop as well. $75 is better than buying another full price obd1 scanner.

BigRedOne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF the problem really is with the EPROM there is another way to go. Modify your ECM to accept an SST 27SF512 EEPROM and flash your own .bin with TunerPro RT, an ALDL cable, and Moates Burn-II
Dave w (Old School EFI) went to a junkyard, got a 7747 and soldered in a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) socket which converted the ECU to accept the 28 pin flash chip where the 24 pin EPROM went. Then I could drive around, data log, email my log to him, he'd tune it, email the .bin back to me, I'd flash a chip, install it in that ECM, rinse and repeat until we got the VE tables fine tuned. Then, because of my build, we decided the 7747 was too slow with too small tables so, I went to the EBL Flash-II and have been tuning it myself.

Maybe something to ponder? :33:

www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?172-7747-Flash-Chip-Conversion-(27SF512)&highlight=7747

www.tunerpro.net/

www.moates.net/burn2-chip-programmer-p-197.html?cPath=94

www.aldlcable.com/

That would work if I wasn't tuning in a computer illiterate. I have Holley efi with the self learning on a 64 c10 I built and that gave me some idea how it works but it basically does it for me. And I have done a LS swap in an s10 that I am still learning HP tuners for I had it professionally dyno tuned at speed inc. Other than that I can only due basic changes in either of those. I don't want to be messing with this all the time. I just want to fix it and be done. I've spent enough time chasing this. Just want it like it is supposed to be basically from factory.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I've thought the same thing. Doesn't Moates have a daughter board for sale that enables this?

I know Moates does for the later MEMCALs, a daughter board which I've used (see the picture in my prior post in this thread).