I need body work advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

littlemlittle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, I suck at painting, body work and all that. I cant afford to go to the body shop and get my truck painted.

I want to do a good quality (if it exists) rustoleum paint job. I've heard if you prep it well it will look good. That's what I'm going for, I know I wont have the truck for too much longer and I just use it on occasion.

Well, I started to use paint stripper because previous owner had different colored panels and stuff, got the paint stripper off, and sanded a little. I sprayed a coat of paint on and it doesnt look good, at all.

What should I do? Use body filler and fill in the low spots?

Pictures might show what I'm talking about, they are all over the panel.

Thanks for the advice.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
The old saying is 95% prep, 5% paint. Finish sanding the paint off to bare metal. If there are spots where filler has been added leave those alone as much as possible. Next prime using a "high build" primer. Basically a high build has a little more filler so it hides better. Sand with 400 wet or dry used wet. Use a flexible block NOT your hand as you hand will sand grooves in the primer. Expect to sand through the primer in a few spots. When done sanding clean the spots you sanded through and reprime and sand to blend into the previously primer. Now wash well with plain water. NO SOAPS or CARWASH type soaps. They may have wax or other things in them which will cause massive problems later. Wash everything again making sure you rinse all seams, door jams etcetera to get rid of all the primer sanding residue.

Go to the big box store and buy a quart of Naphtha. Use this to wipe down the surface right before you paint. Tape off and mask whatever you don't want painted. wipe it down with the Naphtha and paint.

I highly recommend using the hardener Rustolem has for their paint. It cures faster, holds color better and is a much more durable paint.

Sounds simple doesn't it! It is simple. Just a lot of labor. Good luck with your project!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your having a chemical reaction to what is on the truck. As mentioned, body work is just that, work. 95% prep and 5% painting. You have got to sand the surface smooth before you paint. The primer and paint have to be compatible. The area has to be contaminate, and dust free. There are a ton of videos on the on you tube. I know this is a long video, but it is also very detailed.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out Brian at "Paint Society on Youtube. He demonstrates some of the steps these guys mentioned in this video. He explains it well. Good Luck

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media