I have a few 12v Cummins Swap Questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering what years 12v Cummins motors would be best to use in a swap for my 85 k10... I know the year isn't relevant to our forum but the concept would still apply. I want to find a good Cummins I can rebuild and juice up a bit. As well, I want to use a 4 plus granny gear style standard transmission I think... what would be my best option for that? What transfer case should I use? Can I use Chevy axles for this swap? Aside from new engine mounts, what else would I need? Any information would be great!

Crummins

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wondering what years 12v Cummins motors would be best to use in a swap for my 85 k10... I know the year isn't relevant to our forum but the concept would still apply. I want to find a good Cummins I can rebuild and juice up a bit. As well, I want to use a 4 plus granny gear style standard transmission I think... what would be my best option for that? What transfer case should I use? Can I use Chevy axles for this swap? Aside from new engine mounts, what else would I need? Any information would be great!

The 91.5-93 engines are VE pump and stone cold reliable and get excellent mileage plus they are fairly cheap to acquire

The 94-98 engines are P-Pump, are also very reliable and are much easlier to build power than the VE pump.

You might want to look into running a NV4500 which is a 5 speed with granny low and overdrive. Since some Dodge trucks came with them, the adapters are easier to find. The overdrive would be nice because Cummins like to run 1900-2100.

Transmission you can use the Dodge one (although the front output will be on the wrong side) or you can adapt it to a GM NP208 or whatever you like.

Chevy Axles are fine although you have 1/2 ton axles so don't expect to pull a 10k trailer or anything and if you juice it up too much expect those axles to explode in glorious fashion if you drive it hard. 3/4-1 ton axles might be necessary if that is the case.

Check www.4btswaps.com - lots of great info and a ton of people doing the same swap you are discussing.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was looking into using the m1008 military heavy duty axles and transfer case... would that be a good idea? As well I was looking at putting diagonal braces inside the Chanel of the frame for strength without making it too too rigid

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
another stupid question... would it be to an advantage to take a 24v and p pump it and convert it to all mechanical?

6.5-k3500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
another stupid question... would it be to an advantage to take a 24v and p pump it and convert it to all mechanical?

As long as your wallet can handle it, thats a more expensive route to go, from what ive seen, if I remember right the injection line for that conversion are about $1000 or so.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i know several people who have converted 24v to mechanical. there isn't much hp or torque gains in the 98-2000 enough to really say so out of the box from a 12v to 24v, however, if i decided to throw a motor in a crew cab k30 (if i can find one in good shape and cheap) if the 24v would be a smarter idea? Ive even pondered finding a duramax and doing that instead. Trying to get a game plan so come spring I can start the new project. any ideas or suggestions? should i sell the k10 find a crew cab k30 and convert it to a short box and just stick with a 12v? Ideas and suggestions are much needed!

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do something unique like a DT360 with a Spicer 6 spd. Seems like everyone does a Cummins swap these days :nono:

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem is it isn't as easy getting parts and stuff for it or information on it so I would have to blunder my way through it... I thought about a 453 Detroit but ruled it out

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem is it isn't as easy getting parts and stuff for it or information on it so I would have to blunder my way through it... I thought about a 453 Detroit but ruled it out

Short of the Fab work a DT360 would be one of the simpler ones... Find one out of a military truck with a trans and transfer case and it get's really easy. Mechanical gauges, kill cable, engine and trans mounts, starter wiring, and custom drivelines... Not much more than that :shrug: But lot's of welding to do it.