I hate going to parts stores

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work at a parts store and I cannot wait until my kind of job gets replaced by robots. Dealing with people's ****** attitudes, them acting like I'm dumb just because I'm young when I try to educate people on certain stuff that I know, customers constantly complaining about the prices, etc. Our system is so ****** that you have to get the exact name of it, or else good luck trying to find it! I try to help people the best I can, but in a few months I'm quitting and getting something better because my mental health is not worth the ****** pay. Otherwise, 70% of the customers are fun to chat with about cars and such. I'm not going to lie, there are counter people that know diddly squat about cars, and it's rough when they don't know what you are talking about, that I can agree with. Anybody that comes into the store, I have started showing customers what I am looking up on the computer with them telling me exactly what they need, takes the heat off of my a$$ with them seeing how stupid the catalog setup is.

Working at these places looks like a thankless job. We (the consumer) have created this issue by always wanting stuff for cheap, and acting like ********* when people don't know everything. Many people are too lazy to look the parts up on their computer, yet they expect the worker who is using some crappy program to be able to figure this stuff out. These workers aren't getting paid enough to make you feel better about being lazy. Look it up yourself, order it online, go and pick it up. The real benefit of these places is that you can go back and get parts warrantied when they fail, which is becoming more of a problem as we let china take over.

I actually enjoy going to auto parts store, as it usually means that I am about to talk to people that like cars.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I saw that a lot back in the day, and I still see it at the parts stores I go in: people who don't know what vehicle they have or what part they need. Sometimes the person sent to fetch stuff isn't properly informed, sometimes the person doing the job doesn't know. Information and communication are critical here, folks!

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m guessing if I know who Led Zeppelin is that makes me 60? Not trying to offend anyone, I’m just kinda confused about that analogy. However, I agree a lot of parts counter people are just as clueless as the customer. Its the few that actually know a few things that get put in the same category as the rest. I’ve gotten better with time knowing how stupid these computers are, and the books seem to be more useful than the damn computer! lol.
Yep. Most part stores try to run the place like its 7-11 and all you guys need to do is follow the software.
Which sucks.
And people like you who want to know more are just outside of that little corporate box.
Stay calm my freind. Learn that part of the business.
Learn everything you can
And bail out.
Having a **** job with **** co-workers always sucks.
Let it roll off your back like water off a duck bud.
Think of it as a free education.
Not only about the business, but also about people and their motivations.
Not only the employeess.
That is fairly easy.
The upper level management people are much more desperate and conniving and weak.
And much less trustworthy.
It all ties into this ancient corporate philosophy.
If we dangle the carrot.
Those who want to escape will try to take a nip at the carrot.
Give them a nip and then make them in charge of who gets that little nibble.
You only get more of the carrot if you take charge of making sure that everyone else gets less of the carrot.
And then you are well and truley ******.
Because you bought a house and have kids and all all all that comes with it.
I think that these days their are only two possible choices.
Get into a solid union job that has a future.
I would recommend any of the maritime trades. But you will never be at home.
In construction the future is in surveying and technollogy.
If you can get into the virtual reallity end of construction their is no limit at all.
VR and tech is a real game changer in this industry.
It is friggen amazing.
The only other route is to go into business for yourself.
Thats what I did when I figured out that I could **** it all up on my own and didnt need somebody to **** it up for me.
It hasnt been easy.
But its all mine. The good, the bad, and the taxes.
And the insomnia. You gotta figure that out.
I would have probably gone down this path anyway.
Maybe.
Finding a partner in life and a woman who is bold and unafraid of whatever loopy thing I do really set me free.
Go do you my freind.
And anyone who claims that Phil Collins is a better drummer that John Bonham needs to have their temperature checked
And maybe look at some ink blots

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Most part stores try to run the place like its 7-11 and all you guys need to do is follow the software.
Which sucks.
And people like you who want to know more are just outside of that little corporate box.
Stay calm my freind. Learn that part of the business.
Learn everything you can
And bail out.
Having a **** job with **** co-workers always sucks.
Let it roll off your back like water off a duck bud.
Think of it as a free education.
Not only about the business, but also about people and their motivations.
Not only the employeess.
That is fairly easy.
The upper level management people are much more desperate and conniving and weak.
And much less trustworthy.
It all ties into this ancient corporate philosophy.
If we dangle the carrot.
Those who want to escape will try to take a nip at the carrot.
Give them a nip and then make them in charge of who gets that little nibble.
You only get more of the carrot if you take charge of making sure that everyone else gets less of the carrot.
And then you are well and truley ******.
Because you bought a house and have kids and all all all that comes with it.
I think that these days their are only two possible choices.
Get into a solid union job that has a future.
I would recommend any of the maritime trades. But you will never be at home.
In construction the future is in surveying and technollogy.
If you can get into the virtual reallity end of construction their is no limit at all.
VR and tech is a real game changer in this industry.
It is friggen amazing.
The only other route is to go into business for yourself.
Thats what I did when I figured out that I could **** it all up on my own and didnt need somebody to **** it up for me.
It hasnt been easy.
But its all mine. The good, the bad, and the taxes.
And the insomnia. You gotta figure that out.
I would have probably gone down this path anyway.
Maybe.
Finding a partner in life and a woman who is bold and unafraid of whatever loopy thing I do really set me free.
Go do you my freind.
And anyone who claims that Phil Collins is a better drummer that John Bonham needs to have their temperature checked
And maybe look at some ink blots
people hJust go do it.
Just go and do it.
Forget all about social medua ********.
Its all just a little fear box comprised of people who have never gone anywhere or done any damn thing.
And most of those people have never been out of their state.
Go out in the world.
Go forth and take some freinds with you and go just ****** see it.
Get a passport, save some money, get a chump credit card.
Pack a carry on bag and just ******* go.
Go
Go do whatever you want to do ..
And anyone who tells you that you cant is just a ******* who is trying to controll your life.
**** em
Do that big step, be crazy run around and do what the **** ever you feel like doing.
Society may judge you as being somehow on the edge.
A little bit beyond their control.
But that is where I found my 30 or 35 year freinds.
Right the **** out on that edge.
Be good to yourself and all can happen

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
people hJust go do it.
Just go and do it.
Its all just a little fear box comprised of people who have never gone anywhere or done any damn thing.
Go out in the world.
Go
And anyone who tells you that you cant is just a ******* who is trying to controll your life.
**** em
Do that big step, be crazy run around and do what the **** ever you feel like doing.
That’s honestly really inspiring advice.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
people hJust go do it.
Just go and do it.
Go out in the world.
Go
**** em

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Businesses used to have training programs, so even if you were a new, uninformed parts person, before long you were trained and competent. Then businesses figured out they could eliminate training programs and save a buck. They didn't realize they were relying on a core of well-educated personnel. Once those people retired, the un-trained employees got the job right 80% of the time, but businesses never figured out they were losing more on that 20% of failure than the training program originally cost them. Now they're whining they can't find good employees and they still haven't figured out you don't "find" good employees, you grow them.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
When I was young, my Grandmother gave me the collected stories of Mark Twain and my Grandfather gave me the collected stories of all of Conrad.
On the theory that it would somehow balance out.
And it kind of did in a way.
You can live a crazy life and be a bit sarcastic about it
It just becomes a thing.
Something that you have done.
And I am not unique at all.
I am just a run of the mill person.
You can go right the **** out the front door and go have adventures in your life
Go . Do ..It
You will never regret throwing yourself out into the world and doing wild crazy ****.
You will regret growing old and never having taken your shot at the wild and crazy.
Go see the world you *****.
Put your **** in a bag and just go do it.
You have plenty of time left for kids mortages and divorces.
**** all of that.
Get a passport, get a duffel bag.
Take some t shirts and underwear and go the **** wearever you want to go.
Dont worry, the debt trap will be just fine and waiting for you when you get back.
We all kind of end up the same way.
Wife, kids, house
But Im not sure you younger people have a path to that anymore.
And you will certainly never see it if you listen to the gloom and doom on the internet.
Go forth out into this vast nation and do crazy adventerous things .
****, just drive around for a year and meet people and eat at little mom and pop places.
Some parts are a bit ****** up.
Some parts are way more ****** up than they used to be.
But it aint Iraq.
Not yet anyway.
Go see the place