I hate going to parts stores

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
What is it with car and truck fanatics that we care so much about our vehicles, but then we drive like idiots?
Or we do stupid sh... I mean stuff with them that you realize the consequences of when it's time to do maintenance on it. Like never doing brake service since a truck was new, that service bill is going to ruin my wallet.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
... like jumping a Bronco over your driveway and are surprised when it lands and pops every U-Joint under it. (did it at my housewarming party 10 years ago)
Sounds like my dads idea of a housewarming party. We had the 92 S10 Blazer for about 92 minutes and my dad had this grand idea; parking brake turn (no handbrake in it), right into a spot where his C30 was beside.

That didn't happen. Rolled the Blazer right into my aunts Dodge conversion van. That was behind a mailbox. Neighbor runs out of his house screaming "ARE YOU OKAY?!?!!". My dad gets out of the Blazer and says "That didn't go as planned" and shakes hands and says "Hey, we haven't met. My names my dad."

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thankful my local advance and Orielly’s isn’t too bad. I normally go in with part numbers and they grab them and I’m on my way. One time they told me they didn’t have a part I needed, sent me to another store 30 minutes away only to find out that the second store didn’t have it, but the first one did. I was kind of ticked after that. They’ve also been decent about knocking off some costs when I make purchases.

I also go to a local dealer that I have a good relationship with and buy OEM when I can. They give me a good discount and even toss in somethings dirt cheap if they have it on the shelf and just want it gone. If I spend a lot on service they’ll work with me on parts as well. Don’t have a lift or the right tools for some jobs, so I take it to them.

When I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, it was impossible to go to a parts store and get good service. This is when I started figuring out everything that I needed prior to going in and buying parts.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m thankful my local advance and Orielly’s isn’t too bad. I normally go in with part numbers and they grab them and I’m on my way. One time they told me they didn’t have a part I needed, sent me to another store 30 minutes away only to find out that the second store didn’t have it, but the first one did. I was kind of ticked after that. They’ve also been decent about knocking off some costs when I make purchases.

I also go to a local dealer that I have a good relationship with and buy OEM when I can. They give me a good discount and even toss in somethings dirt cheap if they have it on the shelf and just want it gone. If I spend a lot on service they’ll work with me on parts as well. Don’t have a lift or the right tools for some jobs, so I take it to them.

When I lived in the suburbs of Chicago, it was impossible to go to a parts store and get good service. This is when I started figuring out everything that I needed prior to going in and buying parts.
my local dealer only ever ONCE got 30$ from me for a power steering reservoir cap(YEAH that was.. unpleasant)
I asked how much for a quart of ps fluid, in 2017 mind you, it was 12 dollars. inflexible, **** you for not being rich was the attitude. its a very branched gm dealer in the area annd they are just snob central, the literal BMW dealer an hour away is a smaller more casual place.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my local dealer only ever ONCE got 30$ from me for a power steering reservoir cap(YEAH that was.. unpleasant)
I asked how much for a quart of ps fluid, in 2017 mind you, it was 12 dollars. inflexible, **** you for not being rich was the attitude. its a very branched gm dealer in the area annd they are just snob central, the literal BMW dealer an hour away is a smaller more casual place.
That is unfortunate. The one I go to is a small family owned dealer. My dad used to work there as a mechanic in the 90s and is kind of how I came to appreciate these trucks. I’ve been to others and have not had the same level of service or care and experienced something similar to you.

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I went to Advance auto to get a radiator for my K1550 after checking it was in stock.The store was about 8 mins. from my house. Got there and I saw the box looked old, had dust all over it and it was smashed. Opened the box and it was bent and useless. They called a store about 8 mins. from this store and they had one. They said they would bring it to the store in 15 mins.so I waited.......and waited. After 30 mins. I asked when will it get here. They called the lady and said she was on the way. A hour and 15mins. later the lady pulled up in the van coming from the opposite direction of other store with rad. and a few other parts. Apparently she went to the warehouse, picked up parts, and went to another store on the way to the store I was at!.I was pissed off and told the manager to to give me the 2 jugs of antifreeze for free. He gave me a $25 gift card that I used to buy the AF.......... I should've just drove to the other store.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is unfortunate. The one I go to is a small family owned dealer. My dad used to work there as a mechanic in the 90s and is kind of how I came to appreciate these trucks. I’ve been to others and have not had the same level of service or care and experienced something similar to you.
its okay, the only dealers which arent vultures in the sick sense are the used car ones(ironically) because they basically retail used cars usually a bit above private sellers but at that point it can sometimes be a good deal, because warranty. if i wasnt skilled, it would be a wise

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this out ... yesterday I put in an online order at O'Reilly's and they say it will be ready for pickup today at 10:30 AM. I go over at 2:30 PM and they tell me it isn't ready and to come back after 5pm. 5 minutes after I got home, I got an email from them that it was ready.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check this out ... yesterday I put in an online order at O'Reilly's and they say it will be ready for pickup today at 10:30 AM. I go over at 2:30 PM and they tell me it isn't ready and to come back after 5pm. 5 minutes after I got home, I got an email from them that it was ready.
Time to jack-up the Store Manager...and the guy HE reports to, also.