I got a free truck, but...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Unless you are really committed to doing a swap, my suggestion is almost always to fix what you have. A lot of good intentions end up as lawn art. That paid for truck won't be of much use sitting around while the swap is in process (for weeks, months, years).

If I was going to go to the trouble of doing a swap, I'd look into an LS series swap anyway. Still, my vote is fixing what you have.

I have to agree. If it's a good runner and just needs a $50 worth of water pump, belt and coolant, why bother changing the motor?

Besides, the trans won't shift the same behind the V8 as it did with the 6. You will also need to swap over the computer, the AC, power steering, change the radiator........

In my opinion, just not worth it

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man, thats like saying "oh just needs a new air filter, might as well do a big block swap"
Not the first time for me. I bought a nice classic 79 mini cooper, rhd, 1000cc, 4 speed. I bought it for my ex, it was her dream car. One the way home the rear main started leaking. That lead to pulling the engine and tranny. When doing so you have to pull the front axle shafts and that seemed like the ideal thime to do disc brakes. When you do discs you need a 12" or larger wheel. We couldn't find anything that we liked until we stepped up into a 13" wheel that was the wrong pattern so an adapter was needed. Then the wheel was hanging out of the wheelwells so a flare was needed. Three different sets of flares and all fit like crap. Then I came up with the idea of using steel trailer fenders to build a full, one piece "ground effect"/flare combination. You can see how it escalated into a cammed, Webber carb, electronic ignition, header, 1275cc, custom built 5 speed, coil sprung, sway bar, 35k rotisserie build.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced the water pump and belt and charged the battery. runs like a champ and drives just fine. I'm just gonna drive it around for now but eventually get everything for a v8 swap. Reason why I asked and am interested in a swap is because the frame is impeccable and and body isnt in too bad of shape. as for additional mods until i get to that point...
electric fan, subwoofer, new deck, C/B radio, exhaust, intake maybe. its almost pointless if i do an engine swap but hey. keeps me busy.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I just replaced the water pump and belt and charged the battery. runs like a champ and drives just fine. I'm just gonna drive it around for now but eventually get everything for a v8 swap. Reason why I asked and am interested in a swap is because the frame is impeccable and and body isnt in too bad of shape. as for additional mods until i get to that point...
electric fan, subwoofer, new deck, C/B radio, exhaust, intake maybe. its almost pointless if i do an engine swap but hey. keeps me busy.

If at all possible I'd try to get a parts truck with the engine/transmission you want. That way you'll have everything you need and it will be that much easier to measure stuff/see how it fits together.

I'm normally a "run what I have till it blows up" kind of guy, and those 4.3s are pretty reliable, but if you really have any work to do with that truck, and if there's any hills where you live....you'll wish you had anything else. My pickup is a 5.0 TBI and to pull a cord of hardwood up some of our hills I need 2nd gear.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my 15 for any work that I need to do. That thing is a monster compared to the 93. But I love the simplicity of the old one. Which is why I am keeping it. I'm gonna run it till the motor or trans is gone. Then do the swap. Still gonna do some mods to make its life easier. But I'll have to agree with you. It can't get out of its own way none-the-less tow anything. But with 197k miles its not too bad.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My two cents would be to just drive it 'till it blows. Those old 4.3l's were stout little motors. My '03 1500 has one, it's up past 220k miles and still runs like a top. The truck returns 17mpg religiously and i've crossed the scales at a scrap yard at over 8800#'s--granted 5500#'s of that was truck and trailer--and it's never missed a beat. With the manual, i'd wager it'd be fine at towing most reasonable loads. I say just keep 'er going!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not the first time for me. I bought a nice classic 79 mini cooper, rhd, 1000cc, 4 speed. I bought it for my ex, it was her dream car. One the way home the rear main started leaking. That lead to pulling the engine and tranny. When doing so you have to pull the front axle shafts and that seemed like the ideal thime to do disc brakes. When you do discs you need a 12" or larger wheel. We couldn't find anything that we liked until we stepped up into a 13" wheel that was the wrong pattern so an adapter was needed. Then the wheel was hanging out of the wheelwells so a flare was needed. Three different sets of flares and all fit like crap. Then I came up with the idea of using steel trailer fenders to build a full, one piece "ground effect"/flare combination. You can see how it escalated into a cammed, Webber carb, electronic ignition, header, 1275cc, custom built 5 speed, coil sprung, sway bar, 35k rotisserie build.

A rear bearing replacement in my '98 ended up being a complete rebuild of the diff, a gear change w/Eaton posi, upper shock mount relocation, partial boxing of the frame & spring mods! Oops!