Hydroboost issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradster68

Reaction score
I own a 1990 k3500. Hydroboost system, I would like to keep it original. Are these systems prone to problems? I just bought this truck and my power steering fades in and out occasionally. Simple fix or pain in the ass?

Attachments

• 20220301_170347.jpg
    20220301_170347.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 13

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hydroboost operates at much higher hydraulic brake pressures than vacuum-assist brakes, so it's usually a standard option on the larger, heavier trucks.

The extra compilation over vacuum is the additional hose and hydroboost valve. Other than that, I think it's pretty reliable. All of the other manufacturers use pretty much the same system on their heavier trucks.

It sounds like your issue is the power steering pump. Change the pump and bleed the p.s. system and that should fix your problem.

Nice truck by the way!

Last edited:

Bradster68

Reaction score
Hydroboost operates at much higher hydraulic brake pressures than vacuum-assist brakes, so it's usually a standard option on the larger, heavier trucks.

The extra compilation over vacuum is the additional hose and hydroboost valve. Other than that, I think it's pretty reliable. All of the other manufacturers use pretty much the same system on their heavier trucks.

It sounds like your issue is the power steering pump. Change the pump and bleed the p.s. system and that should fix your problem.

Nice truck by the way!
Right on thank u sir. Truck was totally restored I figured pump would be in good working order.but maybe not.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you buy the truck like that? If the pump was changed recently, maybe it just has air in the system? Try bleeding it first and/or do a power steering fluid change.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the belt for the PS properly tight? Serpentine not worn or stretched-out? Tensioner still showing that it's not extended beyond the service markings? In other words, the belt isn't slipping on the PS pulley...right?

Bradster68

Reaction score
Did you buy the truck like that? If the pump was changed recently, maybe it just has air in the system? Try bleeding it first and/or do a power steering fluid change.
I did just buy truck. Guy says it's new but never know. He stays in touch constantly asking if truck is running ok offering his help and giving extra parts to pick up.
He's definitely not a scammer. Imma try that bleeding thing first.
Thanks for your time.

Bradster68

Reaction score
Is the belt for the PS properly tight? Serpentine not worn or stretched-out? Tensioner still showing that it's not extended beyond the service markings? In other words, the belt isn't slipping on the PS pulley...right?
Didn't check a few of those things but I will now. Didn't know about tension pulley marks. Imma be taking the weekend to check somethings. I'm new to the truck thing. Always into racing cars. Had a couple vettes and a 67 camaro so this k3500 is slightly different. Lmao.
Thanks for the help

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score