hvac trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primal1

Reaction score
i just noticed that no matter what setting i have the hvac on, either defrost, floor, ect. i always get a little blowing out the vents pointing towards me. where is the diverter located. would this be the issue or is a relay not working properly. would this also be why my a/c not blowing as cold as it should. i recently just had the compressor replaced, dryer replaced, orfice replaced, and re-charged.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 98 it is on the lower right side of the heater case near the throttle pedal. Very easy to replace

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^ what he said. Should be (3) 7mm screws with a wiring harness plug. $39.00 at Autzone with lifetime warranty.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah my truck does as well, hate when heat comes out of the front vents and makes my face hot instead of my body, even when the vents are shut. This always bothers me in the winter.

So (3) 7mm screws near the foot gas pedal? Or do I need to remove the heater core cover? What wiring harness plug should I be on the look out for to replace this issue? :)

Thanks!

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
It's right by the pedal, it will be in plain sight under the dash.

You'll see two linkages with springs attached to it. Often, those linkages just need to be lubed and the actuator will still be okay.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Cool, I will look for that tomorrow! :D I will try to spray some WD-40 on it and see if that works.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Well I tried spraying some WD-40 on both linkages and it didn't work, I still feel air coming out of the vents. All of the linkages move, before and after WD-40. I tried all of the fan options and it feels like I have it on the arrow pointing towards the face sticker on the hvac when I have it on floor, defrost, defrost+floor. One of my relatives' truck does not do this, nothing comes out of the vents and it's a year older than mine.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your blend door(s) have issues. Sorry I'm not more help than that, I had similar issues on both of my '97s and just had my mechanic deal with it. He ended up pulling both dashes and replacing one or both of the blend doors, no more issues after that.

98chevy2500SS

Reaction score
Hmm, yeah I was afraid of that. I will see how much the blend doors are. I think all I would need is the one by the foot pedal because the rest still work. But I probably won't worry about it, it works and that's all I am worried about, just bothers me though that it does this.

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I forgot about this issue I had over seven years ago. The top blend door broke free of the HVAC housing. With some cussing and flexibility I could get the door back in place from underneath the dash by the actuator, but I wasn't able to permanently fix it til I replaced my dash and used a zip tie to hold it in place.

Here is a bad picture of it from the top with the dash removed:
You must be registered for see images attach