HVAC Issues '95 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Morning guys,

So I am trying to effectively track down my HVAC issues while not wasting a bunch of money.

I will start off by saying that the A/C system is charged correctly, blows ice cold, but a couple years ago on the way back from Carlisle All truck Nationals, my A/C quit working, well come to find out it was the HVAC controls, now '95 is a unique year for many parts like the trans, but the HVAC controls are one of them.

SO I bought a nice used one and it has been fine up until this year, it is blowing hot air even if no fan speed is selected and the temp knob is at cold.

When the A/C is engaged it tries to blow cold, but still blowing air across the heater core, so it is warming it up, if you put it on defrost, it blows really cold and if you mess with it enough it will switch to all cold.

The MODE door only controls from feet to upper to defrost right? I think that is working fine.

Here comes the dilemma, is it the mode door that is not moving and directing air correctly, or is it my HVAC controls, I know they are faulty and known for it. I REALLY do not want to do the BLEND door, but don't mind the HVAC controls, problem is either way I am out $100+ and time so I can't just through parts at it.

I think that the ACDelco part number is 15-72267 for the HVAC control panel, anyone confirm?
What you say?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Very possible your blend actuator is sticking, mine does the same if I turn the controls to max heat. You can watch the splined coupling in the actuator move if you look behind the ash tray.

And yes, 15-72267 is the correct part number for the 95 controls. It's actually just the 96+ controller (15-72548) with a harness that plugs into the 95 wiring.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very possible your blend actuator is sticking, mine does the same if I turn the controls to max heat. You can watch the splined coupling in the actuator move if you look behind the ash tray.

And yes, 15-72267 is the correct part number for the 95 controls. It's actually just the 96+ controller (15-72548) with a harness that plugs into the 95 wiring.

The blend door is the pain to get to right? I can't keep them straight.

Ok good to confirm the control unit then too, it is so hard to know what is causing the issue.

qukon 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:) i got lucky and found this harness and a 99 HVAC at junk yard $28.00 BUT after i plugged it in all controls didn't work i looked closer it had burn
spot on circuit board went back to junk yard and took the board out another one working good now. i got to get L E D S for it also.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
The blend door is the pain to get to right? I can't keep them straight.

Ok good to confirm the control unit then too, it is so hard to know what is causing the issue.
You have to pull the dash, which is exactly why I haven't fixed mine.

With that said, pulling the dash is easy IMO, it's just time consuming.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is what I was afraid of, ugh not good. I guess I need to try and confirm if it is that actuator. Wonder if I can some how prop that door so it will only blow cold, at least for summer.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
There are two notches in the shaft that sticks out of the actuator. You can use a flathead to pry it back, but *only* if you know that's the problem. With mine, I have to put so much force into it, I'm surprised it doesn't break.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can see the one behind the ashtray/glove box and it does move and work when I turn the temp knob, it is intermittent blowing hot then being ok, problem is, it is 90*+ here so can't really tell :lol: