Hunter's 97 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I just did plugs and wires. I ran with Delco Rapid Fires and Napa brand high mileages. It shot my mileage up like 3 full mpgs.

I always run Rapid fires in my TBI trucks but I heard they weren't the best for Vortecs. But I have no personal experience with them in a Vortec

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this fire power kit. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/vortec.htm

I have the over the header wire set. It works great an there kit price is very comparable to buying everything separate in AC delco. You can still buy everything separate from them if you'd like an don't want the coil/module. There cap/rotor is very good quality an the wires are awesome....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you have the dyna module and coil? Did you notice a power difference?

Ya I have the whole kit. I honestly can't say I noticed a huge improvement in power. It did seem to smooth out my idle though. The PO of my truck "tuned" it up with the cheapest junk he could find though.

I looked at replacing everything with AC delco through rock auto an this kit was only like $40 more at the time iirc. So I figured the better wires an coil were worth it....

Its been on the truck probably a year an a half I think with no issues at all.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Yeh it looks like ac Delco will be a little cheaper since I'm not replacing the coil. But I wonder if I should since it has 160k miles on it. And honestly the plug wires are factory and it still runs great. I just really want to replace them before they give me trouble. I may just get this kit, some NGK plugs, the catalytic converter and muffler for now. (SES light is on because of cat) May have to wait on the injectors. I don't really know if it needs them or not, after you've run the truck a little while and then turn it off when you crank it up its hard to start. Actually have to give it a little gas to start it. It always starts, it's just annoying. And it's not the fuel pump because I've Reyes letting it prime a few sec before starting and it either doesn't help or it'll backfire thru the intake. And it seems to run rich when first cracking. That's why I think the injector set is leaking.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be your fpr too. Next time hold the pedal to the floor while cranking it. That will disable the injectors an should clear it out. (that's what I've been told anyways)

Whatever you but just get good quality stuff. Vortecs hate cheap ignition parts...

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I'm knocking on $1000's door getting the firepower kit, spark plugs, injectors, converter, muffler and wheel spacers. Then I have to get the converter, muffler and tailpipes welded on.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm knocking on $1000's door getting the firepower kit, spark plugs, injectors, converter, muffler and wheel spacers. Then I have to get the converter, muffler and tailpipes welded on.

Don't you mean converters, as in two... Big pimpin ain't cheap :pimp: :rofl:

That's why my converters are in the trash....