How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to splice into the compass the long console DIC's from the blazers have the compass inside the unit.

Metric feature works just like the standard setting.

If you are interested in getting one I think I have a couple out in the garage still I would have to check tomorrow night when I get home from work.

Thanks Paul,

You wouldn't happen to have the temperature sensor also? And the DIC from the blazer long console is the one that clips right in where that trim piece is beneath the map lights? Same unit you installed in your truck?

Thanks,
Casey

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Paul,

You wouldn't happen to have the temperature sensor also? And the DIC from the blazer long console is the one that clips right in where that trim piece is beneath the map lights? Same unit you installed in your truck?

Thanks,
Casey

Correct. If i have one it has temp sensor, lense and wiring pig tail.

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure I did something wrong on this mod. I still have power at the DIC when I turn the key off. That's not the way it should be is it.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I did something wrong on this mod. I still have power at the DIC when I turn the key off. That's not the way it should be is it.

No. When key is off dic should be off. You found a constant power wire. You need to find the switched power wire that is controlled by the ignition.

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the problem, had the two power wires switched. All is good now. Thanks for the original post, great idea.

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the DIC came out of a short console which may explain why I can't get the compass to work. The display shows a "C" when I first start up but when my attempts at calibrating are not successful. Guess I need the remote compass sensor. Anyone know a good web site to locate GM part numbers?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the DIC came out of a short console which may explain why I can't get the compass to work. The display shows a "C" when I first start up but when my attempts at calibrating are not successful. Guess I need the remote compass sensor. Anyone know a good web site to locate GM part numbers?

That's exactly why your compass won't work. As for numbers i have no idea

Fallsey

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Your pm box is full, but I'm looking for the full feature DIC with the fuel features.

Thanks,
Casey

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
the mpg an range are not correct on our trucks because it's calibrated for a blazer with a 4.3. My mpg reads low an with a full tank the range only reads about 280 miles.

This is a neat thing to have, but you need to know that before putting all the work in to install it....

How off is it would you say?