How To: Install a Compass / Temperature Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 Sierra came with the auto chromatic mirror stock, but doesnt have the TEMP button, only has the MIRROR and COMP button.... Will i be able to hook up a temp sensor to this mirror still ? And i noticed when i press and hold the MIRROR button it flashes and shows degrees, temp in celcius and ferenheit but the mirror will only display the bearings (north, south, ect.)

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 Sierra came with the auto chromatic mirror stock, but doesnt have the TEMP button, only has the MIRROR and COMP button.... Will i be able to hook up a temp sensor to this mirror still ? And i noticed when i press and hold the MIRROR button it flashes and shows degrees, temp in celcius and ferenheit but the mirror will only display the bearings (north, south, ect.)

No, you have a compass only mirror. You need a temperature and compass mirror (they have a Comp & a Temp button on them) in order to utilize a temp sender. The plug on the back of the compass only mirror only has 3-4 pins IIRC, where the temp & compass mirrors have 5-15 pins!

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, you have a compass only mirror. You need a temperature and compass mirror (they have a Comp & a Temp button on them) in order to utilize a temp sender. The plug on the back of the compass only mirror only has 3-4 pins IIRC, where the temp & compass mirrors have 5-15 pins!

ahh i see well thats a bummer haha thanks for the info bud!

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
write up looks awesome and really easy cant wait to install mine i got today at the local yard for free

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pm tonyss I remember him saying you could add the temp to any mirror, I just can't find it right now...

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Pm tonyss I remember him saying you could add the temp to any mirror, I just can't find it right now...

wait what????????? that i would like to know about as the full display console dic i cannot do with a diesel

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can I use any unused fuse hole with a terminal on one side?

In the fusebox, as long as it only has 12V+ when the key is in the "ON" and "ACC" position. On the juction block, the terminals aren't fused so they are male spade style connectors. You can also utilize an ignition switched source there as well.