HOW TO Convert From Drum Brakes to Disc Multi Part Video Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I take great pride in educating the uneducated.

This right here is what KILLS me. You're "teaching" the uneducated how to DOWNGRADE their brakes. You don't know enough about what you're "teaching" but you go and preach it like it's the gospel. I've seen too many videos where I know more than the content creator and wonder why oh why do they go on posting this stuff? If you had done your homework, chosen a good kit (or properly fabricated your own), known what you were doing from the start, and had some way of measuring how the new thing is better than the old thing, you'd have something. Good intention in and of itself isn't enough. People will copy what you do and believe what they've done is a good thing, for better or for worse. As a content creator it's your responsibility to be the one with the answers. The right ones.

What's more is you came in here, THE place for GMT400 knowledge, and posted these videos out of the blue. Not because you're looking for advice, no, you came in here for likes and subscribes. You're unphased by the fact that you found out after the fact that your parts selection is subpar and are blatantly ignoring those that are telling you this, forging on and "educating" your followers. All this does is perpetuate more and more misinformation. Had you done your homework first, maybe come in here for some answers, THEN make a video where you're not learning as you go, it might be worth a watch. This is why I, and many others, won't give your channel or the myriad of others the time of day.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This right here is what KILLS me. You're "teaching" the uneducated how to DOWNGRADE their brakes. You don't know enough about what you're "teaching" but you go and preach it like it's the gospel. I've seen too many videos where I know more than the content creator and wonder why oh why do they go on posting this stuff? If you had done your homework, chosen a good kit (or properly fabricated your own), known what you were doing from the start, and had some way of measuring how the new thing is better than the old thing, you'd have something. Good intention in and of itself isn't enough. People will copy what you do and believe what they've done is a good thing, for better or for worse. As a content creator it's your responsibility to be the one with the answers. The right ones.

What's more is you came in here, THE place for GMT400 knowledge, and posted these videos out of the blue. Not because you're looking for advice, no, you came in here for likes and subscribes. You're unphased by the fact that you found out after the fact that your parts selection is subpar and are blatantly ignoring those that are telling you this, forging on and "educating" your followers. All this does is perpetuate more and more misinformation. Had you done your homework first, maybe come in here for some answers, THEN make a video where you're not learning as you go, it might be worth a watch. This is why I, and many others, won't give your channel or the myriad of others the time of day.
Incorrect and feel free to check out my post history as well as other GMT400 based platforms. I get your point with being down graded, but these kits are installed on Tow Trucks with great success. Mandingo will never carry the load of a tow truck. I don't need subs from here...my channel isn't geared towards trucks specifically. Just shedding light to people who own DRW which make my reach even smaller. You are replacing facts with feelings. That just doesn't work...

If people copy me they will be fine...I popped the tires off...torqued checked and see no issues. that was around 125 mile mark. If there are issues with the kit, someone would have put them on blast a long time ago. Its 2023, society is quick to gloat on negativity.

This video was never about my channel so I'm not sure why you are mentioning it. Maybe there are some self short comings you need to work on. I had a few HOW-TO's that I lost in other forums b/c photobucket went free to pay me. Youtube won't do that plus making a video is better than a detailed write up with photos like I have done in the past :)

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So just to add my 2 cents worth. I have the little caliper rear disc brake conversion on my truck. I don’t haul anything with that being said the pads don’t last for crap. I’m putting rear disc brake setup from the 2000 model year trucks which is the 12,000 lb gvw jh7 brake setup. I just have to fab up the mounting plates and cut the old ones off and make the brake line bracket that goes on the backing plate. I had 13 x 3 1/2” drum brakes and kept over heating the drums and nobody left around here that can machine the drums. When I can’t get these parts I’ll just move up to the years I can still get parts for. If I have to put an adjustable proportioning valve on it then it will get 1 no big deal. I can’t imagine pulling something with the little disc brake kits they sell you’d have to buy pads a dozen at a time anyways I’ll have 1 of these kits for sale shortly and I’m putting this on a 10 1/2 “ ff axle as the tube is the same size. It has to be better than what I have currently

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Incorrect and feel free to check out my post history as well as other GMT400 based platforms. I get your point with being down graded, but these kits are installed on Tow Trucks with great success. Mandingo will never carry the load of a tow truck. I don't need subs from here...my channel isn't geared towards trucks specifically. Just shedding light to people who own DRW which make my reach even smaller. You are replacing facts with feelings. That just doesn't work...

If people copy me they will be fine...I popped the tires off...torqued checked and see no issues. that was around 125 mile mark. If there are issues with the kit, someone would have put them on blast a long time ago. Its 2023, society is quick to gloat on negativity.

This video was never about my channel so I'm not sure why you are mentioning it. Maybe there are some self short comings you need to work on. I had a few HOW-TO's that I lost in other forums b/c photobucket went free to pay me. Youtube won't do that plus making a video is better than a detailed write up with photos like I have done in the past :)

How am I replacing facts with feelings? Please, do tell.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So just to add my 2 cents worth. I have the little caliper rear disc brake conversion on my truck. I don’t haul anything with that being said the pads don’t last for crap. I’m putting rear disc brake setup from the 2000 model year trucks which is the 12,000 lb gvw jh7 brake setup. I just have to fab up the mounting plates and cut the old ones off and make the brake line bracket that goes on the backing plate. I had 13 x 3 1/2” drum brakes and kept over heating the drums and nobody left around here that can machine the drums. When I can’t get these parts I’ll just move up to the years I can still get parts for. If I have to put an adjustable proportioning valve on it then it will get 1 no big deal. I can’t imagine pulling something with the little disc brake kits they sell you’d have to buy pads a dozen at a time anyways I’ll have 1 of these kits for sale shortly and I’m putting this on a 10 1/2 “ ff axle as the tube is the same size. It has to be better than what I have currently
I'll put it to you this way I purchased the truck 6/4/2015 with 151,885 and it now has 173k. Granted I didn't drive it for almost a year between medical issues and back ordered parts, still wouldn't change the number drastically. Prior to all of this, I would try and drive it once a week to work or run an errand. I just use to haul small engine related equipment, mulch and other home improvement related tasks. Wife will only take it work to "wow" the kids and to conferences so her coworkers can play with the horns. Clearly this truck is just a labor of love and I wouldn't have it any other way. Keeping this truck on the road wouldn't be smart choice if I had to pay someone to upkeep and upgrade as I see fit.

Time will tell about pad life...swapping out pads/rotors is an easy mindless chore compared to other things I have done. I didn't have to add an adj. prop valve...only once so far I had apply alot of force to stop the truck bc some ******* cut me off merging onto the highway. I hit the horns, they panicked and off the road they went. I was unloaded as well at the time...didn't recognize feel instant gratification about the swap. I hit the brakes, they work...accident avoided and all is well.

Attachments

• IMG_4696.jpg
    IMG_4696.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 6

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did already in this post and the other one. You just like to circle back LOL Guess you will have to stay notified to the post for updates when they come.

There was nothing meaningful in that post or else I wouldn't have asked for an explanation. You just typed a story justifying your admitted downgrade and the rest was filler.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Remember Super Clean they reached out to us as well. We use simple green its half the price...I told them I can't promote it b/c it cost too much. I said lower your price and I can promote it. They ended up selling me a drum LMAO. I never made a video b/c what weekend warrior is going to buy a drum, store it and fill it as needed. I never made one video and they hate me. I only gave them a post on instagram mocking them and other content creators who sold out for a few bucks. Pay attention to content creators...see what they use and what they promote. Once the sponsorship ends they go back to their ways. As an influencer you are suppose to influence others not be influenced.

Super Clean was the first degreaser of it's kind on the market, way back when it was Castral Super Clean. It's good stuff. They sold YOU a drum. That doesn't mean a viewer needs to buy one. That drum would allow you to try variuous things with the product and develop something to share with a viewer, and then they could buy the appropriate amount. Don't bite the hands that feed your Youtube success....companies are some of those hands. If you find a product doesn't work, then of course share that, but that's not the case with Super Clean. BTW, I can get a gallon for $10, that's also what a gallon of Simple Green would cost me, from the same store.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's just a lot of these disc brake conversion haters at this forum, so a video about them won't be popular with that group, much less 6 of them.

I have them on our half-ton project and no complaints far, we're probably up to 500 miles now.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m putting rear disc brake setup from the 2000 model year trucks which is the 12,000 lb gvw jh7 brake setup. I just have to fab up the mounting plates and cut the old ones off and make the brake line bracket that goes on the backing plate.

If you are referring to the flanges on the axle tubes, found these being sold by a member on Pirate4x4.com and bought a pair last week.

Also on FB-Jack Badossian

Attachments

• 8FCE366A-57E2-4C4E-9227-43F5A55BEB3D.png
    8FCE366A-57E2-4C4E-9227-43F5A55BEB3D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8