HOW TO Convert From Drum Brakes to Disc Multi Part Video Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of disc brake conversions, but I'm not gonna bag on FF40 for making a video on it. My biggest video to date is explaining the timing chain dots vs TDC on the #1 exhaust stroke. Two years ago and 33k views but I still get guys posting comments that I don't know what I'm talking about. The trolls are out there, and you have to have a thick skin while also engaging them in an inclusive way. I try and answer every comment on my videos, but never in a negative way.
It's not even the subject material that got my attention, it's just that he comes across as a low-grade d-bag. I'm done now..

Richard

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of disc brake conversions, but I'm not gonna bag on FF40 for making a video on it. My biggest video to date is explaining the timing chain dots vs TDC on the #1 exhaust stroke. Two years ago and 33k views but I still get guys posting comments that I don't know what I'm talking about. The trolls are out there, and you have to have a thick skin while also engaging them in an inclusive way. I try and answer every comment on my videos, but never in a negative way.
I try to answer every comment on my video. If you take the time to watch and comment, I will take the time to respond. My channel is a positive one, if I wanted negativity I would open up social media, watch the news and other avenues. Youtube isn't perfect, I don't get notifications on every comment, I assume they are just overloaded and causes oversight. No matter what you post there is always an expert yet again, you never see them post a video. Keyboard warriors are strong.

Remember haters pay the bills just as much or even more as supporters. They will watch every second, every move and every word out of your mouth waiting to rip you apart. On purpose I do things LMAO. I do respond to negative people in a negative pending the circumstances. If funny when they get triggered. They think b/c I'm on youtube I have to act a certain way. Will attempt to cancel me but can't be done. If you can't take it, don't give it. Although I am young, I believe in the shop talk banter/atmosphere even though modern society is pushing it away. I emulate it b/c thats who I am. My channel is a reflection of me which makes creating content easy. Acting isn't for me.

Some comments do get removed b/c simply happy space which even gets them more upset :)

95 Silverado

Reaction score
@ForeverFalcon40 can we get an update on how the disk conversion is actually performing, or anybody else who has actually done one?

The pickle I’m in is that one of my drum backing plates broke over the weekend and I can’t find replacements anywhere, so looking for options to get my truck back on the road.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not very impressed by what the aftermarket offers for GMT400 disc brake conversions, but there's one that caught my eye and I'm sure there are a few others like it.

I've seen a conversion which uses a modern caliper and companion caliper bracket. Many conversions do not, and members on GMT400 have noted the shortcomings.

The video in the link below illustrates the modern caliper.

I'm not advocating any brand or manufacturer, and I have no reason to promote the video's creator, I'm just trying to steer folks toward a better caliper and this video just happens to show one.

I think the best conversion would be a disc brake rear from a modern truck having appropriate GVWR, as others have remarked.

@95 Silverado, you may want to look into a 9.5" rear w/ 11" drum swap. The 8.5" rear also also can be found with 11" drums, although typically with 6-bolt axles AFAIK.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

95 Silverado

Reaction score
Thanks @1998_K1500_Sub!

The dwindling availability of replacement drum backing plates is really becoming an existential problem for GMT400 owners.

Normally it's a blown engine or smoked tranny or rotten frame that leads to the condemnation of an otherwise good vehicle and not a $100 piece of stamped metal.

Many of our trucks have many good years left in them so a reasonable bolt-on kit would certainly appeal to a growing market!

95 Silverado

Reaction score
That one doesn’t fit my truck which is a 95 K3500 DRW 6.5L. The DRW appears to have a different offset.

The only backing plates that anybody (e.g. Dorman, Rock Auto, Napa) has for my truck are for the front.

Not even the wreckers within driving distance of me have any.

That said, maybe it’s possible to modify the offset on the ones that are still available for SRW vehicles by cutting out the mounting surface and welding in a spacer?

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only backing plates that anybody (e.g. Dorman, Rock Auto, Napa) has for my truck are for the front.

Have you checked eBay? Sometimes those things surface. I found some dust shields for my ‘98 Suburban front brakes there, hadn’t found them anywhere else.

We have members who have gone overseas to acquire parts which are sold, there, for GMT400s in that specific region.

Last edited: