HOW TO Convert From Drum Brakes to Disc Multi Part Video Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Super Clean was the first degreaser of it's kind on the market, way back when it was Castral Super Clean. It's good stuff. They sold YOU a drum. That doesn't mean a viewer needs to buy one. That drum would allow you to try variuous things with the product and develop something to share with a viewer, and then they could buy the appropriate amount. Don't bite the hands that feed your Youtube success....companies are some of those hands. If you find a product doesn't work, then of course share that, but that's not the case with Super Clean. BTW, I can get a gallon for $10, that's also what a gallon of Simple Green would cost me, from the same store.
They didn't sell me anything, they sent it to me. Simple Green is cheaper here on the island.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's just a lot of these disc brake conversion haters at this forum, so a video about them won't be popular with that group, much less 6 of them.

I have them on our half-ton project and no complaints far, we're probably up to 500 miles now.
There is only 3 Videos and forth one planned after long term use. I can't think of anything after that.

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are referring to the flanges on the axle tubes, found these being sold by a member on Pirate4x4.com and bought a pair last week.

Also on FB-Jack Badossian
To be honest I haven’t looked at the axle I have apart to see what the ends look like. I just bought some 1/2” plate. I know 1 set of holes are farther apart than the other set and have yet to decide if I will put the calipers towards the front or the back like the newer trucks are or even if it matters. There aren’t any of these trucks around me in junkyards so I’ve had to buy everything new and still need 1 backing plate/ parking brake anchor plate as gm calls it

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing I really noticed bout discs is the brake pedal is firm, soon as you push it. But I've had many a vehicle with drums and never had an issue. Yeah, it's easy to change pads on discs, but shoes give you the chance to check things out, and to adjust the shoes. Drums can't be that bad, big trucks still use today. My '19 Pete 389 has em, and I am at 80k pretty all the time...

But if I ever get the need to discs, I'll go to the local yard, pay $150 for a rear from a GMT800. They are all over here. Rotted. FYI, the 3500 HD rear can swap hubs from a Dodge 80, I THINK. I was gonna build an HD at one point, looked into getting away from the goofy bolt pattern.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It was your words, but if they gave it to you, then it's all the worse. You took advantage of them by taking thier product without giving them a fair shot.
He's fitting the type I suspected, and it'll only go downhill from here. It's pretty bad already.

Richard

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was your words, but if they gave it to you, then it's all the worse. You took advantage of them by taking thier product without giving them a fair shot.
In all fairness I told them I wasn't interested and stated why. They took it upon themselves to send it to me. I just left it at the shop and let the shop use it up. I edited my post, sorry for the confusion. I can speak for the masses, space is limited. No one is going to keep a barrel like this in their garage vs few bottles.

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpg
    IMG_4702.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing I really noticed bout discs is the brake pedal is firm, soon as you push it. But I've had many a vehicle with drums and never had an issue. Yeah, it's easy to change pads on discs, but shoes give you the chance to check things out, and to adjust the shoes. Drums can't be that bad, big trucks still use today. My '19 Pete 389 has em, and I am at 80k pretty all the time...

But if I ever get the need to discs, I'll go to the local yard, pay $150 for a rear from a GMT800. They are all over here. Rotted. FYI, the 3500 HD rear can swap hubs from a Dodge 80, I THINK. I was gonna build an HD at one point, looked into getting away from the goofy bolt pattern.
Can't compare air/drum set up to what we have LOL. Once you get the tires off...all you need is a screw driver and vise grips.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of disc brake conversions, but I'm not gonna bag on FF40 for making a video on it. My biggest video to date is explaining the timing chain dots vs TDC on the #1 exhaust stroke. Two years ago and 33k views but I still get guys posting comments that I don't know what I'm talking about. The trolls are out there, and you have to have a thick skin while also engaging them in an inclusive way. I try and answer every comment on my videos, but never in a negative way.