HOW TO Convert From Drum Brakes to Disc Multi Part Video Series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man. . . you're still milking this brake job?
Apparently such is the life of a "content creator"

Once you attempt to monetize knowledge, the desire to milk it is great. So is the desire to clown or scorn such attempts at cashing in, by those of us that have distributed knowledge for free.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making videos:

1. WORK FROM A SCRIPT. At least, have an outline of what needs to be covered to keep you on-track. Stream-of-consiousness takes forever, covers subjects three or four times. Misses stuff. Can be unclear. Skips from one subject or sub-assembly to another without ever concluding the previous assembly. Wastes everyone's time.

2. Use a camera that focuses properly, and hold the camera still. These videos aren't bad in this regard. Lots of Youtube crap is so out of focus or the camera moves around so much as to be unwatchable.

3. EDIT. EDIT AGAIN. EDIT AGAIN. Youtube is infamous for half-hour videos that cover seven minutes of genuine content. And am I the only one to notice that most Youtube videos seem more natural at 1.25-speed than they do at "normal" speed? It's a video, not an eight-hour day.

4. Content like this--where you're discovering how to do the job as you film it--is honest, it's genuine. I think your heart is in the right place. But the viewers don't need to waste their attention span seeing screwups and experimentation and missing parts. It was REALLY PAINFUL seeing you try to bend the tabs on the outer brake pad with some dinky pliers. Hit those tabs with a ***** hammer! Set the pad on the concrete, pop each tab one moderate whack with a one-pound hammer and Shazam!--you're there. I'd really prefer that you did the job, make it all work, (at least on one side) then take it apart so that it can be filmed--or video the other side MINUS the learning-curve. There's less editing needed when the wasted time isn't filmed to begin with. IN SHORT: VIDEO IT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. BE the "expert", nobody needs to see a "beginner" at work.

As for the actual brake job, (which is separate and distinct from the videos documenting the work) I have a strong suspicion that you've got less braking power now than with the bigass drums the vehicle came with. This whole conversion is a step BACKWARDS.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Making videos:
1. WORK FROM A SCRIPT. At least, have an outline of what needs to be covered to keep you on-track.
2. Use a camera that focuses properly, and hold the camera still.
3. EDIT. EDIT AGAIN. EDIT AGAIN.
4. Content like this--where you're discovering how to do the job as you film it--is honest, it's genuine... But the viewers don't need to waste their attention span
That's a pretty good assessment, but what the viewers don't see is all the effort required to do all these things. So far I've only written out an entire script for one of my videos. I typically have an idea, but a lot of what I cover are the little tips and tricks that you run into along the way. I can't think of all those tips until I'm in the job and running into that issue sparks my memory.

Cameras are always a pain in the butt. It's hard to tell what's in the frame. Invest in a tripod to hold your camera. I also have a small wire bracket to hold my camera in confined areas. I only hand-hold the camera when I have to include movement.

Absolutely edit the crap out of your videos. I use OpenShot; it's free and relatively user friendly. Aim to keep your videos less than 15 minutes, and if you can say it in 3 minutes, don't belabor the point. When I'm turning the wrenches, I edit the video speed. Still, most viewers will check out in the first few minutes.

There's a muddy line between being genuine and being tedious. You have to cut out the tedious stuff, which seems artificial, but there's no point in being absolutely genuine if nobody watches.

Don't make YouTube videos thinking it's a pathway to being a millionaire influencer. I make my videos just because I've learned (and am still learning) a lot and I think there's a lack of real technical education out there. I enjoy being able to share my knowledge. It also helps motivate me to get out there at least a couple times a week to turn wrenches.

This isn't directed at ForeverFalcon40 because he already has about 100x the subscribers I do, but in general for anyone else who's looking to make videos.

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently such is the life of a "content creator"

Once you attempt to monetize knowledge, the desire to milk it is great. So is the desire to clown or scorn such attempts at cashing in, by those of us that have distributed knowledge for free.

Richard
Its very clear you didn't watch any of the videos...that is why you made your first comment as well as this one. You can't believe everything you read on in the internet with out doing some DD which you clearly did not. In life before making such decisions it is recommended you do some research.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Its very clear you didn't watch any of the videos...that is why you made your first comment as well as this one. You can't believe everything you read on in the internet with out doing some DD which you clearly did not. In life before making such decisions it is recommended you do some research.
I'll confess I spend as little time as possible watching yt "how to" videos.

Richard

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a pretty good assessment, but what the viewers don't see is all the effort required to do all these things. So far I've only written out an entire script for one of my videos. I typically have an idea, but a lot of what I cover are the little tips and tricks that you run into along the way. I can't think of all those tips until I'm in the job and running into that issue sparks my memory.

Cameras are always a pain in the butt. It's hard to tell what's in the frame. Invest in a tripod to hold your camera. I also have a small wire bracket to hold my camera in confined areas. I only hand-hold the camera when I have to include movement.

Absolutely edit the crap out of your videos. I use OpenShot; it's free and relatively user friendly. Aim to keep your videos less than 15 minutes, and if you can say it in 3 minutes, don't belabor the point. When I'm turning the wrenches, I edit the video speed. Still, most viewers will check out in the first few minutes.

There's a muddy line between being genuine and being tedious. You have to cut out the tedious stuff, which seems artificial, but there's no point in being absolutely genuine if nobody watches.

Don't make YouTube videos thinking it's a pathway to being a millionaire influencer. I make my videos just because I've learned (and am still learning) a lot and I think there's a lack of real technical education out there. I enjoy being able to share my knowledge. It also helps motivate me to get out there at least a couple times a week to turn wrenches.

This isn't directed at ForeverFalcon40 because he already has about 100x the subscribers I do, but in general for anyone else who's looking to make videos.

So if you go through my channel you can see a drastic change when I first started to when I hit 1k. I couldn't believe people trusted me as well as interacted with me. At that point I had to make a decision...take this serious and get better equipment instead of a $40 bootleg gopro. I decided to take it serious as an investment. Dropped $2,500 on equipment (DSLR Vid Camera, Lense, Gopro 8 Black and Microphone set up). The niche I choose is a slippery slope. I teach people how to do things...For the most part they have an issue (come to the channel and to never return LOL) Youtube has reached out to me on multiple times about setting up meetings to get my views and sub ratio better. I do youtube for fun and if you go through my channel you never see telling them to send me money as well as stop sending me things. I explain to them clear as day as that I don't want their money. Google has plenty of money to give and thats what I want to take. You will also see no sponsorships as I have declined a few already. What I never accounted for starting this channel was building a community/family. My wife's birthday came and two people drove a few states away to surprise and celebrate with us. Not one of my most popular video's but def my proudest one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My biggest motto is...If you are willing to learn, I am willing to teach. There are times I can read through people's comments and see their struggle/doubt. I will hop in instagram vid chat or give them my number and we can work on a machine together. People charge for stuff like this...I don't. I rather have you take the money you saved and invest it in yourself. If you were financially well off in today's throw away society you throw away your lawn mower and get a new one. Not take the initiative to repair it on your own. I am blue collar and I assume most of my sub base is. I don't want their hard earned money.

I have done a few vid chats where people have never touched a machine or wrench in their life go shopping and get a basic tool set, royal purple oil, spark plug, rags and brake clean. They even show me their shopping list. The first person that ever did this really hit me. At that moment I decided that I need to protect these people at all costs. You will see that there no sponsors on my channel. We have been approached with sponsors and it really never worked out. I will give two examples...

I absolutely LOVE SEAFOAM and use it on a daily basis. I only use one product out of their product line. They required that I needed to use/promote other products that they sell. I had an issue that some of the products I don't use b/c there are cheaper options that yield the same result (like brake clean). Also other products like Top Engine Cleaner, I said I would have to do some extensive testing on my own before I promote it.

Remember Super Clean they reached out to us as well. We use simple green its half the price...I told them I can't promote it b/c it cost too much. I said lower your price and I can promote it. They ended up sending me a drum LMAO. I never made a video b/c what weekend warrior is going to buy a drum, store it and fill it as needed. I never made one video and they hate me. I only gave them a post on instagram mocking them and other content creators who sold out for a few bucks. Pay attention to content creators...see what they use and what they promote. Once the sponsorship ends they go back to their ways. As an influencer you are suppose to influence others not be influenced.

making 15 min vids is hard...that is why I split this series up as well as others.

Youtube Is fun for my wife and I...the day it feels like a job is the day I put the camera down. Yes we do get a taxed income from google and other avenues. This is at our expense as well as big corp, not people like yourself and I. My wife is a school teacher and absolutely passionate about her career or else I would retire her. Content would be better with an extra set of hands and smile.

My advice to anyone is HAVE BROAD shoulders and stay genuine. Treat your channel like a lawn...its going to take time to flourish and grow. Pay no attention to anyone else but yourself. There way too many specs when it comes to creating content. TBH I am jealous of youtubers who film themselves taking a **** with their phone and getting millions of views. While I have to go spend money on piece of equipment, tools, camera set up, time and sit in 100 degree plus heat in the driveway. Me being in the driveway struggling at times is what makes me genuine and relatable.

Go out there and create...go out there and fix ****...go out there and get **** done. You never know what you are capable of if you don't try.

Last edited:

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll confess I spend as little time as possible watching yt "how to" videos.

Richard
That is great you know it all. I don't and many others as well. I'm sorry my channel isn't for you its 2023 you can never make everyone happy. I really do appreciate you activity in this post. It was never meant to trigger anyone.

If you ever decide to do a rear brake conversion please use a TSM kit. There are a small mom n pop machine shop and customer service was TOP NOTCH. I had no intentions of vlogging this, but after talking to Tim I felt I was obligated too. Just his wife, him and a helper...he just reminds of the "legends" at work. "Legends" I call the older guys at my shop who are up there in age compared to me as well as skills and knowledge I can only hope to master one day. I knew nothing about my line of work when I started (I lied at my interview and begged them after to hire me). I started my career with next to nothing first hand experience but I had close to 400 years of prior experience to support me. I am forever grateful. Talking to Tim on the phone and emails gave me Legendary Vibes. If I had the luxury to take Mandingo, Tools, and myself to CO to document there I would.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is great you know it all. I don't and many others as well. I'm sorry my channel isn't for you its 2023 you can never make everyone happy. I really do appreciate you activity in this post. It was never meant to trigger anyone.

If you ever decide to do a rear brake conversion please use a TSM kit. There are a small mom n pop machine shop and customer service was TOP NOTCH. I had no intentions of vlogging this, but after talking to Tim I felt I was obligated too. Just his wife, him and a helper...he just reminds of the "legends" at work. "Legends" I call the older guys at my shop who are up there in age compared to me as well as skills and knowledge I can only hope to master one day. I knew nothing about my line of work when I started (I lied at my interview and begged them after to hire me). I started my career with next to nothing first hand experience but I had close to 400 years of prior experience to support me. I am forever grateful. Talking to Tim on the phone and emails gave me Legendary Vibes. If I had the luxury to take Mandingo, Tools, and myself to CO to document there I would.
Wow bro.. just quit while you're ahead. I understand you feel like you need to defend your channel or whatever but I didn't make any direct comments about it, and also didn't make any claims about my knowledge. Calm down. Or whatever..

Richard

ForeverFalcon40

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow bro.. just quit while you're ahead. I understand you feel like you need to defend your channel or whatever but I didn't make any direct comments about it, and also didn't make any claims about my knowledge. Calm down. Or whatever..

Richard

I take great pride in educating the uneducated. Its hard to see tone through text. My responses were never malicious. Just genuine...thanks for the stopping by brother.