how should i clean out this sludge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
its pretty nasty in there not sure how i should go about cleaning it all out. any input would help.

You must be registered for see images attach

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
shop vac and a scraper to get the heavy stuff out.parts cleaner brush and some kerosene to get it cleaned down and drain the oil when your done

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly the above as stated an run marvel mystery oil in your engine for a while or if you really wanna clean it do seafoam in the engine to clean it up fast.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Changing the oil at regular intervals all along would have been the best way.................

You can do as stated above....you are likely going to rebuild or replace that engine before long anyways. Once you loosen that crap, you are not going to get it all out and it will be floating around in your oil doing all kinds of fun stuff to your bearings. Just sayin

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of bring that to an engine rebuilder and get them to put it in one of there rotisserie cleaners. That's pretty bad. Any idea how it got so bad?

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
probably the previous owners didnt do oil changes? iv only put about 1,000 miles on it since ive had it. its got 200k on it though and the intake gasket just went so thats when i discovered this. with 200k i dont expect it to last that much longer but i dont drive it much either. im thinking about dropping the oil pan after i get it all cleaned up to get as much out as possible.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That could be caused by coolant in the oil. If run for longer periods the water will burn off, leaving coolant with little to no water in the oil, so it won't look like a milkshake, but like black snot. That happened to a van at work. It kept using anti-freeze, but wasn't leaking it, wasn't burning it, and the cooling system checked out as ok. When the engine would get hot, it would let coolant into the oil, but we'd run it so long that the water would burn off, so no milkshake. The oil would get "dirty" pretty fast, and the shop that changed the oil showed me the filter full of snot...... they were asking me if we had been running some sort of additive, since they had never seen the black snot before.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You'll probably have the same thing going on under the valve covers. I'd clean as suggested above and also yank the valve covers to clean under there too. No matter how careful you are, some of that gunk is going to end up in the oil pan. I'd probably drain the oil after and pour a little kerosene through to try to flush anything that fell in out the drain hole.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive flushed with diesel before with good results, but if possible I think the best would be to just pull it tear it down hot tank it with a simple rebuild . of course that sounds good and is never a simple rebuild.

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well heres what i came up with i put cap plugs in all the drain holes but like said im sure some fell through. but i hit it with the shop vac and that worked pretty good got all the large chuncks out of there. i think im just gona get the major stuff then run some type of cleaner in the oil and change it alot. im thinking seafoam? im gona pull the valve covers too but it just started raining. steve's chevy are you talking about putting diesel fuel in with the oil? if so how much do you add?