How much paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I should mention that Ive already started priming parts of the truck with rustoleum filler/sandable primer rattle can, do I have to worry about certain types of basecoats not being compatible with this primer?

alignman88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely should be concerned about the off the shelf primer. It doesn’t sand well wet or dry that I’ve found and tends to curl up and lift more than sand flat. If you don’t have easy access to a air compressor with enough cfm for a a spray gun go to your local automotive paint store and ask for their 2k primers and sealers in aerosol cans. And get the shelf brand name primer off the parts and re-coat with 2k product.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely should be concerned about the off the shelf primer. It doesn’t sand well wet or dry that I’ve found and tends to curl up and lift more than sand flat. If you don’t have easy access to a air compressor with enough cfm for a a spray gun go to your local automotive paint store and ask for their 2k primers and sealers in aerosol cans. And get the shelf brand name primer off the parts and re-coat with 2k product.
Ive found that it sands fine, and even if its not totally perfect it doesnt really bother me. But is it compatibe or not compatibe with certain kinds of basecoats?

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just ordered High Teck GM Victory Red and clear coat, they are both urethane. Just for fun i might test on a junk panel if rustoleum primer works with the basecoat, but if not, I'll just get primer from High Teck.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Does anyone know how good Duplicolor Paint Shop is? (not the perfect match rattle cans lol) I see it for sale on JBtools.com. I would buy both base and clear from them. It seems pretty highly rated on Amazon, but wondering if anyone here has used it.

It's fine but it's lacquer and isn't as long lasting as enamel or urethane