How fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 90 GMC that I did that to. Think it went around to 35 or 45 and was still pulling. Course had a healthy 406 under the hood...

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m guessing fast enough somebody with flashy blinky lights on top of their car might not find it so amusing.

But I can’t say I’ve never wrapped a speedo before haha!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You know, they're [Tibbie Tree-Fiddies] so slow it's almost amusing, but I have noticed they just seem to keep pulling and pulling. I've dubbed mine "The Freight Train." I've never won a drag race, but my results in the top speed challenge tend to surprise me- speedometer has stopped just beyond 80 and I'm blowing by other cars at an alarming rate. It's gotta be doing 115+, which makes it faster than my '89 Fireturd with it's computer capped 115mph limit.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know, they're [Tibbie Tree-Fiddies] so slow it's almost amusing, but I have noticed they just seem to keep pulling and pulling. I've dubbed mine "The Freight Train." I've never won a drag race, but my results in the top speed challenge tend to surprise me- speedometer has stopped just beyond 80 and I'm blowing by other cars at an alarming rate. It's gotta be doing 115+, which makes it faster than my '89 Fireturd with it's computer capped 115mph limit.

My old G20 van that had a stock TBI 350/700r4 and 3.08s did not have much of an issue reaching 110-115. My Express with a stock Vortec 350 would go faster.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not that I condone it.....but have someone with a phone and run Google maps (navigating somewhere) while you are driving, that should tell you.
Beat me to it. Trivial issue to throw a phone on Maps, or Waze, will tell you how fast you're going. Years ago we had to depend on caveman standalone GPS units (I still use one at work, for several reasons), and I had an app on one of my first Blackberry phones called "GPS tools" that wasn't a navigation app but simply showed data from the GPS. Used it to modify DRAC modules to calibrate the speedometer.

TBI's go to Infinity and Beyond!

.....Or until a valve hits a piston at 5,501 rpm or wind resistance stops those 190 asthmatic over-the-hill Reindeer.
I "won" a race in my '92 against a newer Dodge Ram, many years ago, because I was willing to keep mashing the pedal far more than he would, or could; truck made it home fine but the next day it sounded like a miniature machine shop under the hood and the oil had changed shades to glitter paint. Cue engine #2 for a total of 3 while I owned that truck..

I’m guessing fast enough somebody with flashy blinky lights on top of their car might not find it so amusing.

But I can’t say I’ve never wrapped a speedo before haha!
We have a winner!!

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I "won" a race in my '92 against a newer Dodge Ram, many years ago, because I was willing to keep mashing the pedal far more than he would, or could; truck made it home fine but the next day it sounded like a miniature machine shop under the hood and the oil had changed shades to glitter paint. Cue engine #2 for a total of 3 while I owned that truck..

Richard

And that motor probably wasn't much of anything over 5000 RPM. Blows my mind that a motor would let go so easy when I have a stock rebuilt LT1 in my no-$h!t race car that I screwed together back in 2015. It lives at redline and hits the rev limiter every time I take it out. Gets run hot too.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And that motor probably wasn't much of anything over 5000 RPM. Blows my mind that a motor would let go so easy when I have a stock rebuilt LT1 in my no-$h!t race car that I screwed together back in 2015. It lives at redline and hits the rev limiter every time I take it out. Gets run hot too.
I bought the poor thing with 170K of unknown miles (truck was kinda beat so I can assume engine wasn't the healthiest) and I wasn't nice to it, either. I really wasn't surprised when it wasn't impressed by my victory. Mind you it still ran fine, just a lot noisier than before. It wasn't gonna last too long so it got swapped. (Until I found a low mile replacement, I actually rigged up a toggle switch to the coil power so I could spin the engine until oil pressure built, to cut down on the start-up knocking.)

Richard

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
...I "won" a race in my '92 against a newer Dodge Ram, many years ago, because I was willing to keep mashing the pedal far more than he would, or could; truck made it home fine but the next day it sounded like a miniature machine shop under the hood and the oil had changed shades to glitter paint. Cue engine #2 for a total of 3 while I owned that truck..

Richard
This. I guess because I'm paying attention at lights and take off before they do, people think I'm trying to drag race them or something. Sometimes I play along and mash the pedal & row gears, but it's usually a race to 45 or whatever the posted speed limit is as that's where they tend to shut down. Like, if you're going to stir the pot why not add the noodles?