How do I pick out shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up a 98 K1500 thats had a ORU straight axle kit installed with a HP44 and 12" springs on 44" boggers. The truck doesn't really have any kind of setup on the front end for shocks. What does everyone recommend? I want a good riding shock because I do plan to drive the truck on the road everyday but I don't have tons of money to play with. If you need anymore pics help in anyway just let me know.

You must be registered for see images attach

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
best bet is to get a measurement on how far it is with the suspension at full droop and at full compression and order a set of the bilstien 5150 series shocks

i would highly suggest you get some different tires if you plan on drive that more, those big huge boggers will not last very long on the road at all

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
best bet is to get a measurement on how far it is with the suspension at full droop and at full compression and order a set of the bilstien 5150 series shocks

i would highly suggest you get some different tires if you plan on drive that more, those big huge boggers will not last very long on the road at all

I'm running the Bilstein 5150 and I measured full droop and then full compression and then ride height. But you will need some sort of shock set up like the double hoop kit from ORU or ORD. That's really weird they didn't install it because it is in the SAS kit

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
That's going to be a DD with 44" boggers? I would look for some harder compound tires, maybe like the TrXus(also made by TSL), aggressive treads but they actually last for a good while on asphalt. As for shocks, it looks like you got the steps laid out on how to figure length needed, now just to figure how many shocks you're gonna run and how you're going to mount them.

Reaction score
in the 1st picture it looks like you got upper mounts. if you dont have lowers summit sells these CUR-CE-7020 mounts for 14.95 a pair. weld em on and do as others suggested . (extended, compressed, ride height) if you get the measurements ill be glad to help. if bilsteins are outta what you want to spend ive got monroe catalogs.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. You were actually helpful unlike others over on FSC. It does have the upper mounts but no lowers but I think I'm going to go ahead and order the dual shock hoop set up and get my measurements off of that setup. I've been thinking about the bilstein 5150s I just didn't know what kind of experiences others have had with them.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey solid 94 do you have any pics up close of how your shocks are mounted on your front end? Just curious

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Yes but I modified mine from the u-bolt plate mount to a mount I had a shop make me to allow my shocks to not be tilted inward. I have the ORU double shock hoop but you could always run one with my set up. I'll post pics when I get home since I'm on my iPhone right now

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Was the truck originally a 2wd? When I mounted my shocks on my k2500 after my sas I used the stock mounts on the frame and welded some tabs to the axle for the
lower mounts.

As far as a good riding shock it is all personal preference but with 12 inch lift springs there isn't much a shock is gonna do to help. Do you have any idea what springs they are and anymore pics of the whole front end setup?