How can I adjust the hood?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My hood is fine at the front but 1/3 inch too low at the windshield. Can't really see any good way to adjust it?! How do you do it?! Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have bent hinges or some combination of aftermarket parts or a tweaked hood. Only thing you can do and not going to get into if it's proper or not is to get some body shims and put them between the hood and hinges @ the bolt closest to the windshield

Also remove the cowl filler piece in the corners and make sure the hinges have the correct shouldered/self centering bolt at the pivot point.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought so - that shims is the way to go. Or maybe replace with new hinges. I have to confess that I drove from home without closing the hood properly. The hood went up, I braked softly - the speed was so low that I thought it did not matter. It obviously was enough. Before this the hood was 100% :( Thanks!

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look at your hinge and see the surface area it has contacting the hinge. If you add shims you are greatly reducing the contact area which will put all the pressure in a smaller area. I have never shimmed a hinge in 37 years of collision repair and restos.
You want to reverse the damage caused by the hood coming open. Most likely, barring other apparent damage, it bent the hinge or hood in the hinge mounting area. A 2x4 wood block placed on top the metal part of the cowl and gently bringing the hood down will push the back of the hood up. Do not close the hood. bring it down to put a little pressure on the board. Take the board out and recheck the hood fit.
It is very common to tweak the hood a little up or down. Often I can tweak the back of the hood up by hand.

Reaction score
That was the first thought I had. To use a wooden block. There is actually some 5 mm plastic/rubber shims under the hinge today which could have caused this. Most likely I think the hinge could be the problem, not the hood itself due to the low speed. Will try a couple of 2 x 4 - same problem on both sides. I will do it gently! Thank you!

Last edited:

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you get a chance, could you please post a side pic? I've never seen one of these with a fender light (pic #3), really curious what it looks like.

Reaction score
Of course I can. This was because norwegian law demanded side blinkers. It's cheap ones and I would prefer it without them.

Reaction score
Look at your hinge and see the surface area it has contacting the hinge. If you add shims you are greatly reducing the contact area which will put all the pressure in a smaller area. I have never shimmed a hinge in 37 years of collision repair and restos.
You want to reverse the damage caused by the hood coming open. Most likely, barring other apparent damage, it bent the hinge or hood in the hinge mounting area. A 2x4 wood block placed on top the metal part of the cowl and gently bringing the hood down will push the back of the hood up. Do not close the hood. bring it down to put a little pressure on the board. Take the board out and recheck the hood fit.
It is very common to tweak the hood a little up or down. Often I can tweak the back of the hood up by hand.

Did not work. I pushed the hood down pretty much without any success...