Hopefully getting a new truck soon!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
"Soon" as in within the next few months. Going from my '92 Sierra RCSB 2wd to a '97 Chevy ECSB with the Z71 package. I don't have a picture of the actual truck I'm buying, but the one pictured below looks perfectly identical to it (besides being a Z71, not "4x4"). The one I'm buying has the Vortec 5.7, and the hood and roof have lost alot of clearcoat (dad said we could easily repaint it i his buddys shop). The dude I'm buying it from has been saying $5000, does that seem like a good price?

Going from this:
You must be registered for see images attach

To this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if its super clean besides the clearcoat on the hood/roof, low miles, and not molested than 5000 is a good deal.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Yeah i plan on fully checking it out soon. He is a teacher at my school, but he recently bought a motorcycle so he doesnt drive it anymore. Gonna ask him if i can see it closer in person, take pics and check it out. He is my mechanics teacher and has been working on OBS Chevys and GMCs since they were brand new.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave 5k for my '98 with 227k, but is was very well maintained and has had lots of documentned work done. It has some dents and scratches, but the inside was really clean and the underside is as well. I could tell the guy used it as a truck, took care of it and never abused it off road so I got it. A lot of people think I paid to much cause of the milage, but it runs an rides like it only has 127k so I'm not too worried.

If its in nice shape its a good price. Look at a few and when you see a few abused ones for the same money you will be able to tell if your getting a good one. Since it sounds like its from and older person it should be ok.

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I gave 5k for my '98 with 227k, but is was very well maintained and has had lots of documentned work done. It has some dents and scratches, but the inside was really clean and the underside is as well. I could tell the guy used it as a truck, took care of it and never abused it off road so I got it. A lot of people think I paid to much cause of the milage, but it runs an rides like it only has 127k so I'm not too worried.

If its in nice shape its a good price. Look at a few and when you see a few abused ones for the same money you will be able to tell if your getting a good one. Since it sounds like its from and older person it should be ok.

5 grand for 227k? I would never do such a thing. For that price you could own a very nice one or a 2500HD and a 6.0 with comparable miles...

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ooooh man are you going to loooove that 5.7 vortec and the extra room, higher stance, and well 4x4...Not to mention the interiors are 100x better. Use the ****** hood as leverage to a lower price. $5000 is a price for a truck in GOOD condition as in all the paint is GOOD too, which it isn't. Don't let him have any idea you and your pops are going to do it but just say $4500 bc you're going to have to have the hood professionally done and blended with the rest of the paint (which isn't really a lie anyway) but srsly use it to save you $ You've gotta realize every $100 you save is $ in your pocket for the first round of mods or tune up that you wanna do! I' sure hope you get it man I think you'll be more than pleased. Have you ever driven a 5.7 vortec?? :evillol: :drool:

EDIT: Just seen said truck has 227,000 miles??? If so 5k is going to be wayy too high. KBB what it's worth for your zip code @ private party value man and let us know what it comes out to!

Last edited:

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than 3200 for a truck with that many miles. It doesn't matter that he teaches mechanics or works on motors.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he's never told us the mileage, bluex bought a 98 with 227k

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than 3200 for a truck with that many miles. It doesn't matter that he teaches mechanics or works on motors.

Couldn't agree more. When calculating the value of a truck, owners profession just doesn't calculate in there anywhere, and certainly doesn't add any value. Someone who isn't mechanically inclined isn't any worse off taking care of a vehicle than someone who is, as long as you keep up with service it's all the same.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
he's never told us the mileage, bluex bought a 98 with 227k

LOL that's good news! I hope jd's new truck doesn't have alot of miles to make this real easy on us to say go get it!

But srsly tho JD, when you get this message figure out what it blue books for!