Hood Install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum, been a member on FSC for a long time, but this place seems more specific to my questions...Liking it so far.

I'm going to install a new OEM hood tomorrow on my 90 and would like some input/advice on installing and aligning it correctly (mostly installation). Any information or tips will help a lot. I'll be using two roommates while I bolt the hinges up.

Thanks in advance.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Takes two people, that's tip #1. Four bolts is all it takes, unless you are replacing the hinges also.

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hinges are there. I worked with it yesterday and the alignment was so bad it sat on the top of the fender. The problem is the damn hinges have so much give it's crazy.

Maybe hold the hood straight up and align the hinges that way? Any links or how-to articles? Thanks for the quick reply.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are there marks on the hinges where the washers on the bolts rested from the original hood try lining up to those and see how close you get and dont tighten bolts all the way leave them loose enuff to slide hood on hinges once in place bring hood down not latched and tap it forward or back on either side till lines look good then open up slowly and tighten bolts

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are there marks on the hinges where the washers on the bolts rested from the original hood try lining up to those and see how close you get and dont tighten bolts all the way leave them loose enuff to slide hood on hinges once in place bring hood down not latched and tap it forward or back on either side till lines look good then open up slowly and tighten bolts

Cool thank you. I'll try this. Swapping for a 94-98 Chevy front end. I'll start a thread here shortly I hope before it goes to paint. Thanks.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Cool thank you. I'll try this. Swapping for a 94-98 Chevy front end. I'll start a thread here shortly I hope before it goes to paint. Thanks.

:think: Was your old hood damaged? I'm pretty sure the grille and lights are the only differences for a 94-98.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I hear you on the hinges, they are sloppy as hell. Hoods are all the same Brian.

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:think: Was your old hood damaged? I'm pretty sure the grille and lights are the only differences for a 94-98.

Yea got in a collision. Whole front end was destroyed. No frame damage though. Never put a hood on so I thought I'd get some feedback.