Homemade Turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I realize most of you laughed when you read this, but hear me out...
- just to toss around ideas, use the factory air system only between the canister and airfilter of the system think about using an air duct centrifugal exhaust fan putting out 500-700 cubic feet of air per minute connected to a 12-120v converter box with and electronic speed control for the fan to increase airflow...basically a rudimentary turbo for around $100.oo. Any thoughts?

redneckchevy90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did one similar on my 2k neon years ago. except I ran a craftsman electric leaf blower. worked pretty damn good till I grenaded the engine on the track cause I didn't have an air/fuel guage and it ran lean. but if u can do it get a air fuel guage.

TTS1996

Reaction score
Ya i think you would wanna be careful about that. In theory that should work tho. If i were you, i would do some research and see what kind of air a good size turbo for that motor moves at a specific pressure so you can get an idea of what it will be like and maybe how you can tune for it

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever gain you would have by using it would be used up spinning the alternator with the increased load on the electrical system. I don't know what kind of pressure differential the fan can maintain but I wouldn't imagine it to be much, and the heat generated by the fan trying to make said pressure would negate the increase in airflow, so I don't think it would help anything. This is all best case scenario. Worst case is it is a restriction AND heats the air charge even further, thus causing a loss of power.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats not really what a turbo does. you're talking about a fan that blows air towards the engine, a turbo is actually compressing the air.

to evaluate how well your plan would perform, we need to understand how the engine and other power aders like a turbo work.

so, an engine can only intake a specifc volume of air (and by extension, O2, which is what we're interested in). and since more power is our goal, we can do that a few ways. if you're talking about turbos, and other types of forced induction, what they're doing is actually concentrating the O2 within that same volume. turbos and superchargers both do this by compressing the air to a higher pressure within the same volume.

a fan like you're talking about really isn't able to create the pressure differential like a turbo/supercharger, so it has no ability to increase the actual O2 concentration within the cylinder.

the idea behind the fan theory is basically increasing the air velocity in the air tract....which is similar to what porting/polishing the heads does. when you port and polish the heads it increases the intake air velocity, which makes it easier for the engine to fill the cylinders, and results in more power. so in theory if you're assisting the air velocity with a powered fan, then it should make more power right? well kinda, but its not that simple....like SAATR mentioned, the power you need to run the fan comes from the engine too, so you're losing power from the engine to power the fan, the fan motor itself puts out some heat, so the heat lowers the density of the air in the tract which will cost some power. not to mention that all the stuff in the air tract like the TB, and everything in the intake manifold, and airflow directional changes that the air has to make will lower the velocity of the air before it even gets to the cylinder, and that's a best case scenario with a really well designed fan setup.

so what you need to look at is if the power gain you'd get from an only slightly better velocity would be greater than the power loss from the alternator drain to run the fan, and power loss from the heated air, plus the various things will lower the efficiency of the fan airflow. which even in a really well designed setup, would cost more power that it would make.

if you have decent fabricating skills, you'd be MUCH better off making a junkyard turbo setup.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, just an idea I came up with after midnight lol. So any advice on a turbo setup for the 5.7 liter that I could do for a reasonably low price?

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check & mate..! Straight from 1 of the pioneers... its a straight forward idea and ur heads in the right place... Im sure an intercooler would even help out, but if ur gonna go through the trouble junk yard bo's are the way to go... Turbo will be more beneficial since its compressing the air... This im sure will definitely be at pricey mod... Its hard to find a company 2 manufacture exhaust manifolds for a 5.7 turbo chevy small block... They would have 2 b completely custom...

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, just an idea I came up with after midnight lol. So any advice on a turbo setup for the 5.7 liter that I could do for a reasonably low price?

its totally cool, I'm all about new ideas and such, so its good to be thinking about stuff like that, you never know what you might be able to come up with.

as far as turbos to use, really any turbo could be made to work, but picking a turbo(s) is like picking a cam, different designs and setups will yeild different results. for example, on the turbo intake side of things, bigger turbos will have a lag before they can build up the pressure (and thus power), but can make more overall power, smaller turbos will provide more power lower in the RPM range, but will be limited on the max they can output....there are similar things to look at on the exhaust side of the turbos too (since the turbo is a compressor that is run by the exhaust output of the engine), if you're looking at the exhaust side of the turbos, you'll want to examine how they'll be run, i.e. 1 turbo run off all 8 cylinders vs 2 turbos each run off 4 cylinders, etc...

what kind of setup/use were you looking at?

building a junkyard turbo setup will save alot of money over a 'kit' but it's not going to be too cheap either...just to give you an idea of some things you'll need to look into making or obtaining, or just things that will need to be taken into account will be:
1. the actual turbo(s) (and if they're junkyard turbos you'll probably want them inspected, balanced, etc to make sure they're in good working shape)
2. oiling setup for the turbos
3. exhaust setup to the turbos and from the turbos (you'll also need to know the kind of turbos you're using prior to building this since you'll need to know if your using internal or external wastegates)
4. intake ducting setup (this isn't too hard to design, but it'll likely take up alot of space so planning is still a big part of it)
5. optional intercooling (if you decide to do some intercooling, you'll need to design that setup since there are several different ways to go about it like air/air, air/water, water/meth injection, etc)
6. fueling (more O2 concentration will require more fuel to burn correctly and safely, and may require intake manifold changes to get the fuel needed)
7. tuning with a wideband(s) (you'll need to get the tune right which will either require you to do the tune, or have a tuner do it in person on a dyno, I would never suggest a mail order tune for a forced induction setup, especially a home built setup)

generally, a single turbo setup will cost less just because of less equipment and stuff that is needed, but it will still require the same areas of attention.

Lextech is using some junkyard turbos off a late 80's early 90's turbo thunderbird IIRC in his twin turbo 5.0L setup. I'm still slowly working on my turbo build, but I'm building a forged 383 for them so I can run higher pressures safely and reliably, my turbos aren't junkyard ones, but they are based off some T3 designed turbos with kindof similar sizing as the thunderbird setups, but a little different to suit the higher altitude that I live at and the larger engine size I'll be using. but also remember both of us are twin turbo setups, so for a single turbo setup those kind of turbos would be too small (at least on the exhaust side), you might look at some of the diesel turbos out there for a single turbo setup, but either way just make sure you do some good research before you buy anything.

Last edited: