Homemade tonneau cover with pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone is still interested I got some pictures and write up of my homemade tonneau cover.

Items required
4*8 sheet of plywood($25), laminate floor foam(we already had some), marine grade black vinyl( from local fabric shop $60) , steel shelving uprights(2*2, L shaped, used), aluminum corner bracing(from scrape). 8 inch rubber mating (we already had). Nuts and bolts ($6) and a staple gun.

The building of the cover
With the steel uprights make a box frame the length and height of the box less ¾ of an inch to run down each side of the box. Join the sides with crossers with one at each end and one in the middle. These will attach to the plywood. The aluminum corners braces attach to add strength. Attach frame to plywood with bolts counter sinking the head to make it flush. Lay foam on top and along the edges to make a snug fit and protect against the sharp edges of the plywood. Next wrap and staple underneath so it is not visible. Both of our trucks have 8 inch rubber mating laid down on the floor the bed to keep it from being scratched.

A couple notes about the covers, protect your tailgate by putting down plywood or cardboard when moving in and out. To take the cover out it needs 2 people just because it is so long and awkward to do be yourself. I stand on it to wash my roof of my truck but I don’t jump around on it or anything.

Although it is a snug fit it isn’t completely water proof but it looks good. I wash the cover the same as the rest the truck and towel off to avoid water spots. Also we use tire foam or armour all to shine and protect the vinyl.
You must be registered for see images attach

3quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NICE..

I had a few friends who made some with hinges, and one guy even put lights and stuff on his..

cheap, effective, and removable.. Im going to build one sometime when i get more than a few hours off work

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice man i been looking at buying a fiberglass top cover and then cutting it up so it would fit flush in the center of the bed instead over the top. Did you stain the wood to keep it from warping?

Kurt3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, to answer your question, no we didn't stain it, my truck doesn't see much rain and dad made his same as mine 20 years ago and hasn't had a problem with his warping.