Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks a 1000 times better without that molding. Is that bumper a smoothie diesel bumper? New or used?

Thanks! I’m on the fence about the moldings-current plan is to put new ones back on..but I’ll wait until after the paint work is done. The steps are going to go back on to help the family (and me) get in the truck easier. Gotta do some research on polishing those up!

The bumper that is wrapped up is an original GM diesel bumper that I had straightened and rechromed. Took me 5 years just to find a decent one. The other bumpers I’d passed on either had massive dents, rust, or bunches of extra holes drilled or combinations of all three problems. I’ve had an aftermarket one previously on my old green and silver truck after a 55 mph encounter with two deer-it never fit right and was thinner. This way cost me more money, but it fits right and is better quality. It’s not a smoothie, it has the provisions for the impact strip and bumper guards. I’ve got all new plastic bits to go on.

Last edited:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...I’m long overdue for an update. Many of you have seen me selling parts like crazy...and that’s been to get the paint work done. It started a couple weeks ago and I finally brought it home tonight.

The upper black portion was sun faded (roof was horrible), and when I pulled the lower moldings some paint came off in small areas. Plus the cowl hood was never painted. Then after painting the upper black and lower black, the dings in the silver started to show more and more. So essentially an entire paint job.

You must be registered for see images attach

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, someone had tried to break into the truck sometime before I bought it. So we had to repair that damage (minimal). Anyway, more pictures.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Several years ago in one of my Craigslist searches, I came across a local guy selling a set of oem taillights. Turns out, he bought aftermarket back in the early 2000s, and put the originals in a box, and put the box on a shelf until I bought them in 2013. They had a couple small scuffs, but buffed up great!!

Also added the GM 6.5 turbo diesel hood decals. Starting to come together!

Ralph Bartels

Reaction score
Hey man, That’s one fine truck you got there. I especially like the color scheme. Are you doing the paint work yourself?

Would you mind sharing the specs of your rims?

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey man, That’s one fine truck you got there. I especially like the color scheme. Are you doing the paint work yourself?

Would you mind sharing the specs of your rims?

Hey Thanks! It’s the oem paint scheme...just cleaned up. Unfortunately I had to pay a body shop...still working on paying that internal loan off. The rims are 17x9 procomps...the specs are buried further back in this thread.