Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well..it’s been a little while since I posted anything.

I’ve been working a lot, junkyarding a lot, and working on the truck in my spare time.

So I’ll pick back up with the tow mirrors. I finally finished the wiring. At first I had installed boost auto part’s little diode kit, but I didn’t like how they functioned. So I ripped that out and wired in some diodes. I used 1N4005 DO-41 and 1N4006 DO-41 rectifier Diodes (no one ever seems to post which ones!). Huge thanks to @88GMCtruck for posting a cool diagram to help wire the mirrors the way I wanted. Don’t mind the photo with the diodes-that was during the testing phase..they are since cleaned up and soldered and heat shrunk properly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And because I like being able to take things apart, I wired in some GM 6 pin plugs that I’ve picked up on some of my junkyard runs, and I used new metri 150 connectors on each of the connectors (I don’t like splices). Then I ran the harnesses down to the convenience center and base of the steering column. I tapped into reverse and the signal wires at the base of the steering column and the rest at the convenience center. I havent hooked up the defog portion yet-I can’t recall last time I used defog!

Anyways, here are some pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So now that I finally had my tow mirrors done, I got back to doing led conversion. For my hvac module, I had installed the cool white leds throughout, including the ac buttons. However, I wanted to do something a little different on the ac and recirculating buttons. So I swapped out the cool white for a blue led. Just a little different and I kinda like it. Only issue I have is at night if I look in my rear view mirror I see a quick glance of blue reflection in the back glass and instantly think it’s the police.

I then took my cargo light switch apart and wired in an ne03 bulb. First I tried cool white and it was waaay to bright white. Then I tried blue and it was way too blue. So then I tried cool White with a blue cover on it from one of the oem hvac bulbs. Seems to be pretty close.

Last edited:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then I turned my attention To the front end. I stated by pulling the sealed beam lenses I had installed and tossed them to in the trash. They were junkyard specials that worked, but were pitted and scratched and just not real pretty. I picked up some new ones at Napa and put them in. At the same time, I pulled the lense retainers and sanded them down and painted them. Much cleaner look. I also went ahead and trimmed the edges of the brackets to accommodate the 94+ Chevrolet grille.

I then took my old grille and tossed it in thto trash. It was 22 years old and showed that age. A couple years ago, I picked up a brand new GM grille. So I proceeded to install the parking light clips and also modified the upper reflector section to allow for the upper corner mod. The parking lights I picked up for 5 bucks off a local dude parting out his truck. They are aftermaket, but look pretty close to oem, so for now, they will work.

Last edited:

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then I also did the four corner mod. I’ve seen several methods, but I made my own variation. I found a hole saw that fit the retainer part perfectly, and used that to cut out my donor retainers from some junkyard markers. These were then superglued in place.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then I turned some more of my attention to the front end. When I first bought thit truck, the previous owner had somehow dented the front bumper. Luckily no sheet metal was damaged, but it did get the plastic fender extension behind it. That was easy to find. A good, straight, GM diesel bumper was impossible for me to find. I looked for 5 years and never even found a core. Finally lucked out and found a decent core bumper. I then took it to a local chrome shop to be rechromed. 3 weeks went by and he called me and said he couldn’t chrome the bumper cause it was too big! Son of a...

So then I call a shop in Cuba Missouri. They take it and get it done in 2 weeks. Bam! Finally have a nice looking front bumper! I also bought all new GM plastics for the front bumper. Starting to look almost new again! Also installed the 4x4 front lower valence. I went GM on that as well as it seems the aftermarket ones don’t last as long and aren’t as flexible. Fun part was the hardware. I didn’t have any, and GM dealer wanted 60 bucks. LMC wanted 20, and local hardware store came in around 10 bucks for then flange head metric bolts and u clips.

Here are a few pics showing the progress..very happy with how it’s turning out!

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And then I’ve started the front end part of wiring up various exterior lights. I’ve picked up a couple z71 fog light harnesses along the way, and proceeded to install one of them partway. I plan to start with the horizontal fog switch I picked up (long search there!). Got the wire ran and crimped on some new 150 metri terminals, the. Installed the plug and then the switch. Getting closer!!

Then I turned my attention to the vertical stack of switches. For the vertical stack, I took a 3 hole retainer and filed down the top open spot to be able to run a fog switch in that spot.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I hadn’t considered doing the four marker mod, that looks sweet. It makes me want to do that to mine.

I’m still playing with wiring on my build, trying to get it 100% before I dig into my existing. (95-98 dash swap)

Aaron Poston

Reaction score
Hello, I just gotta say your truck is awesome. I love reading the story and everything you've done to it. I work with leds so the conversions you did are fantastic. I was just wondering how you like the rough country lift? I want to do a 4 inch lift but am unsure about rough country's ride quality and wanted your opinion on it. Thank you in advance

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I just gotta say your truck is awesome. I love reading the story and everything you've done to it. I work with leds so the conversions you did are fantastic. I was just wondering how you like the rough country lift? I want to do a 4 inch lift but am unsure about rough country's ride quality and wanted your opinion on it. Thank you in advance

Glad you like how the truck has turned out! It has been a lot of work, but things are looking right about the way I had envisioned.

Overall I’m happy with the lift kit. I also did all new suspension components, and am running bilstein 5100 shocks. Only thing I haven’t replaced are the cab bushings. The truck does shake like hell doing 50 on a washboarded oil and chip road at 50mph, more than my daily GMC Acadia. But it’s also a lifted truck, with only front ifs, so I guess I could say that’s to be expected. I’ve also never had another lift to compare to.

@bluex posted a good build thread and an install guide to help with the install-lots of good tips in there. That being said. You’ll probably end up redoing things a time or two. A second set of hands would have most definitely helped. I’d really allow for a full Saturday and Sunday to get this done, and that assumes you’ve done all the planning ahead of time. Hope it works out well for you!