Hobbs 96 Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Just kodiak / topkick / 3500hd handles. You have to find a donor truck for the lock pawls and rods. Handles are available on eBay, Rock auto, etc...

Exactly why I'm digging this forum. Thanks for the help man! Seeing something new I want to do every day.

One of my favorite trucks on the forum btw.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well...last weekend was fun. Went to meet another member to get him a minty 94 maroon cloth seat, and while idling we heard the idler start squeaking. Ok..no big deal, I mean, I have bones that creak these days. So we chat for a few more minutes and then we hear a bang and a clang. Ruh roh. So I dash over and kill the ignition. We then look and see the serp belt shredded itself. Upon further inspection, two of the studs that held the clutch fan and fan assembly on the water pump had walked, and then caused the water pump pulley to wobble, this causing a shredded belt.

Well, this wasn’t getting fixed at a Casey’s gas station on a Saturday afternoon. So tow truck time it is. I decided to ditch the gm studs and go with a serated flange head bolt instead. That coupled with some lock tite should be good to go.

Then I decided to tackle a minor item. When I got my truck, it had the hood release handle with a truck emblem on it. It was broken of course, and the newest available gm replacement one didn’t have a truck logo. I happened across the correct truck logo one on eBay recently and of course grabbed it up. So now all is right again. I wonder how many people reading this will go check theirs now.

Always something fun.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Well...last weekend was fun. Went to meet another member to get him a minty 94 maroon cloth seat, and while idling we used the idler start squeaking. Ok..no big deal, I mean, I have bones that creak these days. So we hat for a few more minutes and then we hear a bang and a clang. Ruh roh. So I dash over and kill the ignition. We then look and see the serp belt shredded itself. Upon further inspection, two of the studs that held the clutch fan and fan assembly on the eater pump had walked, and then caused the water pump pulley to wobble, this causing a shredded belt.

Well, they wasn’t getting fixed at a Casey’s gas station on a Saturday afternoon. So tow truck time it is. I decided to ditch the gm studs and go with a serated flange head bolt instead. That coupled with some lock title should be good to go.

Then I decided to tackle a minor item. When I got my truck, it had a good release handle with a truck emblem on it. Not was broken of course, and the gm replacement doesn’t have a truck logo. I happened across the correct truck logo one on eBay recently and of course grabbed it up. So now all is right again. I wonder how many people reading this will go check theirs now.

Always something fun.

Bummer dude! I need to do the same thing with new bolts. I had to make a substitution recently as I lost one of the WP bolts on my recent cooling sys refresh.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may have used that as an excuse to switch to e fans.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some of you follow my Instagram account. Here’s a sneak peek that I shared there.

The autometer a pillar pod was supposed to be the best fitting one out there. Well, I’ll disagree with that. It’s finally fitting better and not requiring me to use a lot of force to make it stay put. Took an hour with a heat gun and clamps. For the 90 ish bucks the piece cost, I’m less than thrilled.

Ordered the SEM dye materials and hope to get those two pieces completed this weekend.

Then I’ll try to get the gauges installed, and get some baseline readings with my stock turbo and KOJO tune.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those Speedhut gauges are going to look awesome in there.