High Oil Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please explain how they run higher oil pressure readings? The pressure tap is AFTER the filter. The only way the filter could change the pressure is if the bypass valve in the engine was stuck or plugged and the internal bypass of the filter was stuck or non existant.

I have not had an issue with Mobil One filters and use them exclusively.

Depends on the bypass valve on the particular oil filter, they can vary. Apparently quite a bit.

When I tried Puralator Pure One and a K&N filters it PEGGED my oil pressure gauge at cold idle, regardless if I used SuperTech Syn 5-30 or Mobil 1 5-30. It does not come close to doing that with NAPA Gold filters with the same oil. This is on a 96 5.7 (240k at the time) 97 5.7 (150K at the time) and a 01 5.3 (75k at the time).

Explain the almost 50% increase in indicated pressure on those three motors when compared with conventional filters? Even after fully warmed up the pressure was ridiculously high.

Few months later, I was told that Puralator got themselves in a bit of trouble with their Pure One over that issue starving engines of oil.

Synthetic filters are fine for vehicles with 0 weight oil, but not on earlier generation motors.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agree with change to a cheap standard filter and see what happens.
And, the pressure sender is often damaged pulling engines. Id verify the sender is correct too.
Constant 70 on a standard pump drive could damage the pump drive shaft.
If it reads '70' all the time, hot, cold, idle...whatever..the sender might be a switch? And not a guage sender.
Guage could be failing too. .those are my SWAGs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk