High Mount Brake Light Leaking to Headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi folks,

There is a leak onto my headliner on the driver's side (left side) of my 1997 K2500 Silverado. It leaves a "salt" line from above the rear side window (extended cab) forward to about halfway along over the door. It is most noticeable in winter after snow sits on the roof for a while - rarely after summer rain. I thought it was the roof seam under the trim so I pulled that off last year for a look. I did see a couple of little surface rust spots at what seemed like very small paint chips and the factory sealer in the seam was cracked in a few places. I thought AH HAA, that must be it. The sealer hardened and cracked after 23 years. I cleaned it up real good and put some Lexel the full length of the seam to reseal it. Lexel looked like a better bet than silicone https://www.homehardware.ca/en/148ml-clear-lexel-multi-purpose-sealant/p/2034596 .

This winter I am still getting the "salt" line. Now I am wondering if it could be the high mount brake light gasket. I had the light off a few years ago to change a bulb and the gasket was pretty sketchy then. Does anyone know which way the wire harness for that light is routed? Does it run left from the light and forward along the left side of the roof? If so, maybe the water is leaking past the gasket and running along the wires. What do you all think?

I'm going to try to find some closed cell foam sheet to make a new gasket out of. I think I read here that the gasket is no longer available.

Thanks,
Glenn