High Idle tbi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
i don't think this was a standard feature until the early 2000s. I know ford had it around this time IIRC. LIke I said, if you have hardware to edit the calibration, you can do a pseudo high idle switch by hijacking the AC control logic. Obviously if you want working AC this will be problem. If it were me I would use an idle speed solenoid like the carbs had to bump up idle speed for AC.
On the 6.5 electric diesel motors yes it's easy to add high idle all 6.5 tow trucks back in the day came with high idle with the wrecker install.( The 6.5s I was around anyway)

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 6.5 electric diesel motors yes it's easy to add high idle all 6.5 tow trucks back in the day came with high idle with the wrecker install.( The 6.5s I was around anyway)
Yes it is very easy to add it. I have done it to mine and it does help in the winter. Ive had it idling watched the temp gauge drop and heater temps drop. Hit the switch and temps comes back up to normal.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket TBI ECM, but I believe there's an input that needs to be grounded for it to work. I thought about installing a switch myself for ultra-cold weather, higher alternator output for lights and/or winch, and climbing stuff in 4-low. I'll have to look at the pinout and get back if anyone is interested.

Reaction score
It runs fine, flawlessly actually. New thermostat in it so yeah it gets to temp but when it’s -20°F no engine holds temperature, I don’t care who you are what you built it won’t hold temp. Newer engines are better, but I know this things gonna drop like a rock sitting idling. That’s why I want it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It runs fine, flawlessly actually. New thermostat in it so yeah it gets to temp but when it’s -20°F no engine holds temperature, I don’t care who you are what you built it won’t hold temp. Newer engines are better, but I know this things gonna drop like a rock sitting idling. That’s why I want it.
So when it's -20 in my area, you're telling me that I can't get the cab warm enough?

Come ride in my truck. I'll roast you out of the cab.

I pretty-much know what your REAL complaint is; I fought cold-cab for years before stumbling onto The Secret. I had a 210-degree thermostat in my truck, and I had to wear a snowmobile suit on the 30+ mile highway trip to work. When I got there, I warmed-up in the cafeteria before clocking-in. That was AFTER I had a shop replace the heater core.

GM used low-quality foam gaskets on the HVAC system. The gaskets turn to jelly when they get old. There was so much cold air blowing in under the dash that the heater couldn't keep up.

I discovered that when I finally got angry enough to rip the dash apart, looking for "something" that wasn't right. I discovered--and replaced--all the rotted foam. The foam seal between the metal cowl and the plastic intake for the blower fan was the major problem. This was not an easy task. It was made worse because the Genuine GM service manual for '88 had wrong instructions for taking the dash apart. I was too stupid to look in the Service Manual Suppliment for the corrected procedure. I assume that the later-edition service manuals have the correct procedure.

It's been years since then. The heater works better...the A/C works better without ambient air pouring into the cab under the dash. Also gave me good access for cleaning all the damned pine-needles and cottonwood fluff out of the A/C evaporator. The next thing I did was to remove the 210 thermostat in favor of an ordinary 195.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, it produces good heat, but when for example getting gas and it’s 20 below, the temp gauge drops cause there’s cold ass air going into the radiator into the engine bay cooling it off. It’s just to help warm the engine up/keep it warm. Didn’t know that was so difficult to understand..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem reasonable. I don't have that problem; that is, not enough to care about. Temp gauge dips slightly, not enough to make any difference.

Does your fan clutch release? Defective thermostat?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had a 79 350 with 10k miles on a rebuild in the shop. A little dye grinder action on the center 4 bolts of the intake and it was back on the road again.
Did you use TBI intake gaskets, or old-style gaskets? The TBI manifold requires "special" gaskets.