1990 4.3 TBI crazy high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gerhants

Reaction score
I have a 1990 c1500 with a TBI 4.3 and it idles really high. It has a code 22 for a bad tps sensor. I tried replacing it and other basic parts to solve a high idle like iac and new air filter. Neither worked, any ideas?

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What diagnostic tools do you have available? Are you able to look at aldl data? How does it idle with the TPS unplugged? Possibly a bad wire going to the TPS? Should be a reference 5vlt reference ground, and signal between 0 and 5vlts based on throttle positions. 5vlt full throttle.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1990 c1500 with a TBI 4.3 and it idles really high. It has a code 22 for a bad tps sensor. I tried replacing it and other basic parts to solve a high idle like iac and new air filter. Neither worked, any ideas?

What do you mean "neither worked"? Did the new TPS resolve the Code 22?

Offhand I might suspect you've a significant air bleed that's allowing air into the intake manifold.

Do you have access to a scan tool so that you can read / confirm the various sensor values and other parameters such as IAC position?

I have a few other ideas but I'm interested in your answers.

Too, others members may have more to add.