High idle-96' K1500 5.7 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jka251

Reaction score
My 96' has a high idle issue that I can't figure out. So far I have replaced:
-MAF
-TPS
-IAC (x2)
-Vapor canister purge valve
-Cleaned throttle body
-Checked tension/sticking on throttle cable
-Checked for vacuum leaks

The truck acts like it runs in two different modes (for lack of better words);
First mode: Get in it and it has the high idle and shifts hard going from 1st to 2nd. No other hard shifting. Idle is usually 1000-1500rpm.
Second mode: Get in, has the high idle but shifts smooth as butter from 1st to 2nd but stalls and surges in the 40-60mph range; RPMs are up and down until I get over 60mph or mash on the accelerator and cause the trans to shift down. Idle goes up to 2000rpm (especially in Park).

Usually the truck "switches modes" each time I get in. i.e., runs 1st mode this time, next time runs in 2nd mode.

Had a reputable shop check for vacuum leaks and any other issue. Owner has a truck almost identical to mine. Did not find the cause. Could this be a computer issue? I have not messed with any of the fuel system (intake/intake gaskets, spider injectors, etc).

Any help is appreciated

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is with earlier years but first thing I’d check is fuel pressure and verify all the grounds are good/clean. From there, if still problems, fastest path to figuring it out something like this is to get datalog capability. Either a handheld scanner or diy TunerPro.