HIDS not cooperating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need some ideas, I have a 97 k1500....just installed Kensun 35 watt HID conversion kit for my low beams...only problem is the passenger side won't ignite. It's not a bad ballister, bulb, or connection because I tested everything. What could it be? Could it be related to the fact that oacassionally I have to wiggle the positive terminal on my battery to get it to start? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

97 silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where your factory harness plugs into your HID box, unplug that, flip it upside down and plug it back it. Should work fine. I've done that several times. The plug will fit on the box both ways but will only work one way.

Z71Joey

Reaction score
What he said also try flipping them on and off real quick or flash the high beams if the 4hi mod isn't done if they do come on after flipping them on You'd Probbaly need a relay harness

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow did not know that about where the factory headlight plugs into the ballast. Ordered a relay harness and it should be here tomorrow. (Thank you Amazon Prime) Thats crazy that they would design it that way.....

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The kit usually comes with a dog light harness so u don't have to plug the stock plug in the ballast :O lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Swap ballast from one side to the other to verify the ballast isn't bad.. Same process for making sure the bulbs are good.

They usally come just plug and play without a harness then a person has problems so you get a relay harness to make sure you have good voltage and ground to the ballasts. And then when you have problems the blame goes to the DRL's. This on top of bulb and ballast failure.

Hids are great when they work and I've had setups last a while before parts failing but ultimately you'll be chasing your tail. In the 6 years I've had Hids that's been my experience anyways.

I went led finally and have had zero issues (so far)
You must be registered for see images

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so without the relay the drivers side worked when i plugged it in backwards. I figured, I guess when i plug in the harness they will both work. Plug in the harness....start the truck....flip on lights and there was no light not even the drivers. So I turned truck off and verified everything is plugged in, then went to start the truck again and now I have no power. None. Not even the gauges light up. Kinda pissed about all this. I broke one of the clips on my grille i got a couple weeks ago from having to take it off so many times. I am almost ready to send all this crap back. Please, if anyone has any solutions to the problems I'm having, they will be greatly appreciated.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your battery connections. Sounds like it's not connected all the way. Take the pos and neg off.. Clean them and the posts/terminals and snug them back down