HIDS, blinding others?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 z71

Reaction score
Just got some 6000k HIDS for my 97 silverado, their bright, very bright. I just dont wanna get pulled over for them since they could be blinding others. I read up on the laws, and as long as they Arnt blinding other drivers cops won't really care. How could I prevent getting pulled over?

Since the headlights in our OBS vehicles are reflector, not projector, I'm sure the reflectors make them brighter than they really are.

All you people with HIDS, have you ever gotten pulled over for them being a distraction to others? If so, what did you do to change that?

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Havent had any problems with mine. Just make sure they are aimed correctly and you shouldn't have any problmes with the cops.

97 z71

Reaction score
Havent had any problems with mine. Just make sure they are aimed correctly and you shouldn't have any problmes with the cops.

How bright are yours? And but how can you really tell how they should be aimed correctly?

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Mine are 6K with a green tint added.

What I did was find a level place I could pull up to with a wall about 25 feet away and aimed my lights.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
It's illegal because hid kits aren't dot approved in stock halogen housings.

The blue light from the 6k temp is going to give away the hids whether they are bright or not.

With that said, aim the headlights right and rock on.

Fawk the police :D

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big part of the reason that aftermarket HID's installed in reflector housings like ours have so much glare is the lack of a glare cap found on the stock 9006's. The other part is that most aftermarket clear housings have poor beam quality and ill defined cut. Retrofitting a quality projector would make the lights 10x better, even with non HID lights. Installing HID's is just substituting quantity of light output for quality, as the housings are scattering just as much light as before, so the real problem isn't corrected. Problem is that good projectors are big money, and a real pain to fit into our housings.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
I have been running HIDs for probably 2 years now, I've never had any problems. I get the occasional Bright Light from someone, but that doesn't bother me. Escalades are no different in brightness from what I have seen as they come at me with their bright ass headlights on. I would recommend getting a housing with a glare shield in it, I don't have one on mine, but it really needs it. Proper aiming helps a lot too, of course. I haven't gotten anything from the police about it.