Help!!! Shutting off issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
next time it kills, pull the wire off off the coil, and use a insulated screwdriver to see if spark will jump from the coil to the screwdriver. ground the screwdriver. if no sparky, unplug the timing connector wire on the firewall./. try again.. if no spark theres eiher a problem in the distributor, ignition coil, or wire. sometimes when warm, the coil wire will arc to the throttle tubing. its dark now, u can get a bottle of soapy water, spray down your ignition wires, distributor cap, coil wire, have someone crank it and see if u see a spark arcing somewhere.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
may I ask why? wasnt the module that came with it new?
It was but I was having the issue again so I took it off and noticed the heat sink was all crusty so I thought maybe it burnt up that module so I put a new one in it and put fresh paste on the module and reinstalled it but that didn’t fix it

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
next time it kills, pull the wire off off the coil, and use a insulated screwdriver to see if spark will jump from the coil to the screwdriver. ground the screwdriver. if no sparky, unplug the timing connector wire on the firewall./. try again.. if no spark theres eiher a problem in the distributor, ignition coil, or wire. sometimes when warm, the coil wire will arc to the throttle tubing. its dark now, u can get a bottle of soapy water, spray down your ignition wires, distributor cap, coil wire, have someone crank it and see if u see a spark arcing somewhere.
The wires that run from the coil to the distributor?

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would send the distributor back and get a refund, then buy a different one.. you likely got **** parts... but being they are new, it makes u think its something else.

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
I would send the distributor back and get a refund, then buy a different one.. you likely got **** parts... but being they are new, it makes u think its something else.
That’s what happened the first time. Got a distributor, had the issue, changed the distributor and it was fine, then started to do it again. The parts are under warranty, since I work at a shop, they exchange parts for us free of charge.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your not getting spark from the coil, you have a problem in the distributor or the coil is failing,

Matt Conner

The louder the better
Reaction score
There’s the two wire connector, so which wire do I jump to check for juice? Or do I unplug it all together and just put the screwdriver to the coil?
I just realized you meant the coil wire that goes to the cap, sorry