Help me figure this out w my tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tamren

Reaction score
I have a 96 Chevy LS 5.7 4x4 suburban. And one day my friend started it up it sounded as if the starter didn't disengage and was hitting flywheel.. (he not to car savvy) put it in reverse and moved it then put it back in park. Then later on I started it and it was making the same noise I killed it hit the starter with a hammer but still same noise, so then I went ahead and put it in drive and when I did a loud clunk happened sounded like somethm metal broke , now I only have reverse no forward gears no 4x4 gears . When took tranny pan off there was a few big chunks of metel bigger then normal looked like a piece of sprocket maybe , any one know what might of broke?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When took tranny pan off there was a few big chunks of metel bigger then normal looked like a piece of sprocket maybe , any one know what might of broke?
Something really expensive.

Time for a complete trans overhaul, or replacement with a new/rebuilt/used transmission; and a complete flush or replacement of the trans cooler(s).

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
forward sprag or input sun gear

try pulling the lever to manual low and see if it moves.

Last edited: