Hello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95ecss

Reaction score
I've had an E60 535, currently torn between an E60 M5 and an F02 750x for my next car. The F02 makes way more sense, but that S85's sound is like a modern-day siren song...
I always tell people to stay away from the v8's unless they like to work on their own vehicles. The N63 engine is notorious for oil leaks and valve stem seal leaks. Not to mention with the reverse head flow design, twin turbo and direct injection they are a pain to work on. Now the S85 does have some minor issues, parts are expensive but are easier to work on IMO. If you like the F02 have you considered the 740 model with the N55 engine? Less major problems and way easier to work on and still have decent power.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always tell people to stay away from the v8's unless they like to work on their own vehicles. The N62 engine is notorious for oil leaks and valve stem seal leaks. Not to mention with the reverse head flow design, twin turbo and direct injection they are a pain to work on. Now the S85 does have some minor issues, parts are expensive but are easier to work on IMO. If you like the F02 have you considered the 740 model with the N55 engine? Less major problems and way easier to work on and still have decent power.
From what I understand the major issues with the N63 were solved with the technical updates, first of which hit the F02 models in 2013. The major issues with the S85's are well known and while expensive (rod bearings for example) fairly predictable. The N55 just won't make power like the N54 in the E60, and the blower AMG cars I had spoiled me to the point that anything less than 500 to the wheels is boring. Once you've had a 4 door car with heated ventilated and massaging seats that flirts with 190 mph it's hard to get excited about 300 whp...

95ecss

Reaction score
From what I understand the major issues with the N63 were solved with the technical updates, first of which hit the F02 models in 2013. The major issues with the S85's are well known and while expensive (rod bearings for example) fairly predictable. The N55 just won't make power like the N54 in the E60, and the blower AMG cars I had spoiled me to the point that anything less than 500 to the wheels is boring. Once you've had a 4 door car with heated ventilated and massaging seats that flirts with 190 mph it's hard to get excited about 300 whp...
Just my 2 cents, like I said I've been working on them for 18 years. If you want a vehicle with the N63, by all means get one. They are awesome when there isn't a problem. Seen too many issues with them on a daily basis to recommend them to anyone. On the plus side you can get a new N63 long block for next to nothing compared to the S85.

Last edited: