Heavy duty harness + 4 hi mod wiring diagram!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ah ok, I purchase quite a bit of electrical supplies for commercial facilities but never for automotive applications.

Is there are is any difference in the cable used in a car compared to conduit in a building, other than the gauge and flexibility of the cable?

Well, stranded for flexibility obviously. Other than that, copper is copper. Things like "skin effect" make no difference in 12vDC applications. 12V is carried through the cross section of the wire, not the skin.

The biggest difference is in insulation.

Typically, automotive stuff will usually be rated for the application compared to commercial/residential. IE: thickness, composition, etc.

I get the biggest laugh when guys start quoting things like "oxygen content" when they start talking about amplifier power wires and speaker wires. Abso-freaking-lutely no difference in and automotive application other than sucking more money out of your wallet. I usually use welding wire for my installs. never had a problem and quite a few "professional installers" have been surprised at the quality of sound coming out of my mix and match stuff...

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Which is why I don't understand why people would pay $70 more for mean greens harness when it does the same thing as the lmc one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better relays, better wire, better connectors = a better product. That's why, an up until recently top notch any time customer service. I've had an lmc harness an they are crap. I'd much rather spend the extra money an never touch it again after install. That lack of frustration is worth paying a little more to me....

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My lmc harness works perfect. It does what it is supposed to. It draws power from the battery directly.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did to for a little while, then the relays went out, then a bad connection an then the wires an fuse holder melted. Good luck with yours though...

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Mine did to for a little while, then the relays went out, then a bad connection an then the wires an fuse holder melted. Good luck with yours though...

Mine lasted a year and is giving me problems now. Not too impressed to say the least. I knew I should have been worried when the only English on the box it came in was "88-98 Chevy Headlight Harness". EVERYTHING else on that box was in some sort of Chinese.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has lasted me a year so far. I was planning on making my own

montessadam88

Reaction score
In the first diagram it shows to connect to the original harness. now is that just so you can run with the head light switch? also where would be a good place to connect to the original harness?

Oldguy

Reaction score
This is an old thread I am posting to. I just want to throw in kudos for the Mean Green kit. Yes it is more expensive however I want to say that I installed it seven years ago and have not had a minutes problems with it. Having worked with wiring for over fifty years I was impressed with the quality of the kit from day one. Just sayin'