Heating Issue Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1996 c1500 Has new jegs chevrolet performance vortec engine 400 miles on engine.
Everything in the cooling system is NEW! It was running warm up to 200-215 that's when i re went and bought again new 16 lb rad cap/ fan clutch/ 180* t-stat ( ecu is tuned for 180*).
Still was heating up to 190-210. I said heck with it and pulled the water pump ac/delco #252-711
Pulled the rear cover off and the impeller was backwards? So i just went to parts store and bought off brand pump. Installed and seem's to be better still got to drive it a little longer. Also my heater works great hot hot heat.

But what does the 95+ dash temp gauge increments go by?
I see it start's 100-210-260
Attached is a pic of my dash reading.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Attached is a pic of my dash reading.
You must be registered for see images attach

You have to do the math..... you have a big white line 1/2 way in between 100 and 210, that's a difference of 110 degrees. 1/2 way must be 55 degrees. So 100 + 55, is 155.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulled the water pump ac/delco #252-711
Pulled the rear cover off and the impeller was backwards? So i just went to parts store and bought off brand pump. Installed and seem's to be better
Define "impeller was backwards".

You understand that you have a reverse-rotation water pump and fan clutch...right? Both pieces are different from what would be on an engine with V-belts instead of a serpentine system where the water pump pulley is driven by the smooth side of the belt.

The 180 thermostat is probably a mistake. At least it isn't a 160.

Is the radiator any good? Is the AC Condenser plugged with dirt and bugs and a sparrow or three? Fins folded over?

I blew out the radiator and condenser of my Trailblazer with compressed air when I installed a new fan clutch. I could not believe how much dirt came out, especially considering that I wasn't having any cooling problems, even before the fan clutch locked-on.

You have to do the math..... you have a big white line 1/2 way in between 100 and 210, that's a difference of 110 degrees. 1/2 way must be 55 degrees. So 100 + 55, is 155.
Not that simple.

Gauge starts at 100, goes to 260. Difference of 160 degrees. Half of 160 is 80. Halfway mark on gauge should be 100 + 80 =180, but it's actually marked 210. TEMP GAUGES ARE NOT LINEAR. The gauge has some linear markings, but it doesn't function linearly. The first half of the gauge covers 110 degrees. The second half of the gauge only covers 50 degrees.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Not that simple.

Gauge starts at 100, goes to 260. Difference of 160 degrees. Half of 160 is 80. Halfway mark on gauge should be 100 + 80 =180, but it's actually marked 210. TEMP GAUGES ARE NOT LINEAR. The gauge has some linear markings, but it doesn't function linearly. The first half of the gauge covers 110 degrees. The second half of the gauge only covers 50 degrees.

It's only reasonable to use the information given. We know the midpoint of the whole gage isn't 180 because it's labeled otherwise. Short of GM giving us the information, the only reasonable thing is to assume that a line 1/2 way between two given numbers is half the difference of those numbers. On the other side of 210 the larger white line must be 25 additional degrees so it would be 235. The lines in between would be 1/4 of 25.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM must have realized the confusion (or their typo) as their last generation trucks finally had a gauge that was easier to read at a glance. 100 was changed to 160 and it made more sense.

You must be registered for see images

I’d go by the reading of the ECT sensor over the gauge, but my two 98s with the 195-F thermostat generally point to that same spot on the gauge as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearheadmike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes water pump was going backwards when i pulled the rear cover off i bolted it back to the truck and had my father turn it over and it was definitely the wrong direction. But i bought another new one any ways.

Radiator is brand new less then 300 miles on it.
The 180* thermostat i know is not original but when i had ecu tuned at PCM For Less it was tuned to 180*

Now for you's running vortecs when u pull the radiator cap off should there be a good amount of movement from the water pump flow or?? My fathers 91 5.7 tbi with cap off you can see the coolant flow really good.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Now for you's running vortecs when u pull the radiator cap off should there be a good amount of movement from the water pump flow or?? My fathers 91 5.7 tbi with cap off you can see the coolant flow really good.

Where are the heater core circuit returns on each truck? Just below the cap? If so, that's the flow you're seeing.