Headlights...HID, HIR, or the new LED...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well,I am thinking about headlights. Lots of people think I should use the HID lights. I am not really enthused about those as all the extra parts such as the ballasts, and the fact that they have to "warm up".

My Tahoe currently has HIR bulbs in it, which to me seem to be really bright, and I am actually happy with them...However...

We recently took delivery of 5 new electric hybrid buses at work, and they have LED headlights in them. Very, very nice bulbs...and very small...

You must be registered for see images attach

I looked on EBAY and these bulbs seems like a good choice. anyone running them yet?

9006 lo beam

9005 hi beam

Just was wondering...

Shawn

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Ditto. I'd like to see a review.
I wonder if the LED's are as bright as my HIR bulbs.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
The eBay ones are junk. A buddy of mine ran them in the hi of his impala. Same 9005. Look into hyper LEDs or superbrights LEDs.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive seen trucks {big rigs} on the interstate with LED headlights they seem ok I personally would do HID cant beat them especially if you drive alot on dark rural roads.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those ones above are not as bright as stock halogens.
These are brighter and suppose to be more reliable than HID's

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've look into LED headlights before, but everywhere I look, I'm told to not use the LED bulbs in high temperature applications. And dont headlights heat up rather highly? The semis and buses that have the LED headlight are probably equipped with different housings that dont heat up the same. So I dont think LED headlights are a 1 for 1 swap. But that's just my 2 cents.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
Led's don't produce much heat. The "single bulb" led conversions I have seen look to have magnifying type lenses on them.

Last edited:

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
From what I've researched, the heat is concentrated on the LED itself. The heat doesn't transfer to the headlight housing.
That's the reason the above Cree LED's have the heatsinks attached.
I've also read that the LED replacement bulbs are bright, but they don't put much light on the road.
Might be due to headlight housing optics or something along those lines.

Everyone still agrees that proper HID headlights put out the best light (on the road).

I'll stick with my HIR bulbs.